Being somewhat familiar with the product lines from Cinemag, Jensen and Lundahl, I've been wondering about substituting the output transformer on an A12 from the apparently steel core CMOQ-2S to a Hi - Nickel core CMOQ-2H. The photos in the assembly manual also show the alternate pad pattern for the Lundahl 1578XL input transformer shown as an alternative on the schematic. I'd think that swapping to the Lundahl input and a hi-nickel output transformer could really smooth out the sound of this usually rather "colorful" preamp, if that's what someone wants.
Now I see that there are "A12 Transformer Upgrades" on the order page which simply list a "Low Nickel" and a "High Nickel" choice. My question is, are these just for the output transformer? If so, which model/brand of transformer are they? I'd also like to verify that the present rev of the PCB for these A12 modules still has the pattern to take a Lundhal input transformer.
I like transformer coupled preamps, because I'm often doing live event recording of things like church choral music that requires I have long mic lines. Yes the A12 wouldn't be a first reach for that kind of thing, but the thought of modding something to be able to use it for something different intrigues me. The A12 is a really minimalist mic amp which I also like, so if I could tailor a few of these for use on stuff requiring smooth, clean sound, it'd be interesting.
