Hi Tim,
In my rack of 8 I have one A12 that behaves differently from the rest. The noise floor is much higher than the other 7 and it has less gain than the A12 next to it by a couple of clicks. The problem is not very noticeable on loud sources but it's terrible past gain 8, and I can't record stereo with my A12s.
I have exhausted my limited troubleshooting abilities so I need some pointers. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
- Jezza
Here is what I can tell you:
Swapping the op-amps has no effect
All the solder joints look good to me
Visual comparison of the good & bad preamps reveals nothing to me, component placements all match, etc.
R23 & 24 are correct (since you asked in another A12 low gain thread)
There are a few dents in the leads where I bent them because I used tiny needle nose pliers to do it. It's not ideal, but I don't think it's a show-stopper.
When driven with a 1k tone:
Gain 6, trim fully clockwise, output on DAW meters:
Good A12 -3dB
Bad A12 -15dB !!!
Output voltage at gain 1 & 6, trim fully clockwise:
Good A12 1.04V & 19.1V
Bad A12 1.06V & 19.2V
Input transformers seem to have no troubles
Good A12
Primary (pins 1-4) .065V
Secondary (pins 5-8) 1.6V
Bad A12
Primary (pins 1-4) .055V
Secondary (pins 5-8) 1.6V
Output transformers are wired correctly and also seem to be fine
Good A12
Primary (brown-red) .633V
Secondary (orange-blue) 1.04V
Bad A12
Primary (brown-red) .638V
Secondary (orange-blue) 1.05V
