output to hot for drums

Post questions or comments about the A12 here.

output to hot for drums

Postby toilettunes » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:06 am

my a12 sounds great but is set on the lowest setings clipps the converter when recording drums.the n72 is very useable did i mess up
kip
toilettunes
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Postby JackofallTrades » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:00 pm

What mic(s) are you using? I use the A12 on Snare and Toms with SM57s without any overloading issues. I usually set the gain at about 2 or 3.
JackofallTrades
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:08 pm

Postby toilettunes » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:39 pm

thanx for the response it was a d 112 on kick 57 on the snare. i had to record this power drumer so what i did was put the output into my board with the trim all the way down. wow stunning results. but like i said all trimms all the way down :( i did a test with head phones and the gains both work right
kip
toilettunes
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Postby bobschwenkler » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 pm

I have to do the same... drums are loud. You might try padding the input to the preamp down.
bobschwenkler
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:09 pm
Location: oly wa

Postby toilettunes » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:58 am

yeah i just got an pad from sweetwater. 20db
kip
toilettunes
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Postby flatrockmobile » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:42 pm

I wonder if it's OK to pad the output instead, so you can still drive the input? Maybe a 20db pad using 2-680 ohm resistors and a 150 ohm in an "H" configuration. Or would this be weird on the output transformer?
flatrockmobile
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:11 am

Postby JustMike » Mon May 21, 2007 4:17 am

I'd like to know this too. Should I pad the input to the A12 or the output? It seems to me that to get more character out of the pre, I would want to drive it more and pad the output...?
JustMike
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:35 am

Postby edwin » Mon May 21, 2007 5:57 pm

flatrockmobile \$m[1]:I wonder if it's OK to pad the output instead, so you can still drive the input? Maybe a 20db pad using 2-680 ohm resistors and a 150 ohm in an "H" configuration. Or would this be weird on the output transformer?


I do this all the time with my API 3124+. I also keep pads on hand for my SCA pres (C84 and N72) and Grace Lunatec V3. I built pads (I forget the values offhand) and also got some online from <http://naiant.com/studiostore/cleverdevices.html>. Both work well. I like the ability to pad the output so that the pres that have meters give me a better idea of what's going on and agree with my input meters.

I record mostly into an Alesis HD24XR, which does seem to have a hot input compared to what the SCA and other pres will put out.

Edwin
edwin
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Boulder, CO


Return to A12

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests