My only mistake... big deal? Ferrite Core.

Post questions or comments about the CH02 and OneShot here.

My only mistake... big deal? Ferrite Core.

Postby cAPSLOCK » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:40 pm

I was so proud of myself for having built an A12 with no shorts, no backwards componants, and pretty decent looking solder for a neophyte. I was about to pat myself on the back for a perfect first run.

Well the card was fine.

When I started making the wiring harness (which may be the most tedious part of the whole thing - yes I have seen the optional procedure) I forgot to put the ferrite coil on the first leg of the harness.

After spending a few minutes trying to disassemble the damn thing, I am wondering how much importance this thing has. I have been under the impression that they are really only there to satisfy the FCC or something.

I suppose I could use the power cord core and go buy another one, or hunt up a cord with one on it already ..


Any suggestions? Anyone?
cAPSLOCK
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby tpryan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:09 pm

First, you should be able to remove the contacts from the housings fairly easily using a small screwdriver or awl. Just depress the locking tabs and gently pull the contacts out of the housing.

If that's too much work, just leave the ferrite off. It has absolutely no effect on audible performance.
tpryan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm

Postby cAPSLOCK » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Yes. I have tried to remove them this way. They just dont seem to want to come out. Perhaps after I build the next card I will try again. Thanks for the help.

By the way... I haven't had much time to use the a12 I just finished, but my initial tests lead me to think it is quite nice. Good job.

Also. The first word that comes to mind when dealing with your kits is overwhelmingly: "meticulous". Not only do I appriciate the fact that you have put such wonderful thought and care into them, but I am also inspired to be very careful and meticulous as I build them. You have really done a good job with these.

cAPS
cAPSLOCK
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: Dallas


Return to Chassis and Power Supplies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests