Extending Leads

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

Extending Leads

Postby cominginsecond » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:26 am

I placed a capacitor in the wrong spot on the PCB of my N72 and ended up clipping it to get it out. Now the leads are too short to insert in the right spot on the PCB. A replacement part is hard to get in my area, and I don't want to pay digi-key 10 bucks for a new one (nor do I want to wait for them to ship it to me). Is there anything wrong or risky about soldering leads that I've clipped from other parts onto the stubby leads (they're about 3mm long) of the capacitor I clipped out so that they'll be long enough to insert into the PCB?
cominginsecond
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Postby Category 5 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:41 pm

If you could pull it off it'd probably be fine, but the leads you solder on to the new capacitor are going to desolder when you heat up the new leads to solder the cap onto the board.

How close did you clip the leads? Can you not reach them even if someone else holds the component in place while you solder?

Shane
Category 5
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Postby cominginsecond » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:03 pm

The way the leads are slanted will not even allow any bit of the lead to poke through the other side of the PCB.

Maybe if I solder the extensions in first and then the capacitor...
cominginsecond
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Postby cominginsecond » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:54 pm

So, I was able to find a replacement part at Radio Shack. Will using this cheap replacement part adversely affect the sound of my N72?
cominginsecond
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Postby cominginsecond » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:40 pm

I ended up jamming the Panasonic cap that came with the kit in as far as it would go. It didn't stick out from the bottom of the PCB, but it was probably flush with it. It stayed in, and I soldered it. Do I have to worry about the lead not sticking out from the bottom of the PCB? I mean, the bottom side of that cap is literally like two little pimples on the bottom of the PCB, while the rest of the components have two or more little "sticks" coming out of the bottom, if that makes any sense.
cominginsecond
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Postby Nisso27 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:58 am

Im pretty sure you could solder from the topside or the bottom side of the board just as long as the component is in the hole and makes contact the little nubs that stick up on the bottom side are just extra material (im pretty sure of this) so it sounds like your good to go
Nisso27
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:53 pm

Postby tpryan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:51 pm

You don't need to have a lot of lead sticking through the bottom of the board in order to make a serviceable connection. As long as the hole plating is intact and you can get some solder in the hole, you should be OK. I'd be more concerned about damaging the component. The ceramic caps are very durable, but if you handle them too roughly they may crack.
tpryan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Waynesep and 3 guests

cron