Page 1 of 1

Reducing Ripple and Hum...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:50 am
by randy5235
Hey Tim,
If I were to swap out c5 and c30 on the ps03 with 2200uf 63V electrolytic caps Would this help out with reducing ripple and noise. Not that my unit is that noisy but every little bit helps. Any reason that this would be a bad idea?


Randy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:12 am
by tpryan
If I were to swap out c5 and c30 on the ps03 with 2200uf 63V electrolytic caps Would this help out with reducing ripple and noise.


No, it would add the noise of exploding capacitors and the ripple of flames coming out of the chassis. C5 and C30 filter the rectified line voltage and can experience peak voltages well over 300V when used on 230V mains. Do not screw with the PS03, it can kill you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:39 am
by randy5235
sorry wasn't paying attention to the voltage (of course i am running 115V anyway not 230V) the question had more to do with the value (not the voltage) and smoothing out the "DC current" after the xformer. I am currently in the middle of designing a variable dual regulated supply for another project and was wondering how effective this would be on this supply. The supply I am working on is using lm317 and isn't a "switched" design ie. no "chopper" . Yeah I NEVER taking working with anything that close to the mains lightly :)


Thanks
Randy