Racking up partial kit

Post questions or comments about the CH02 and OneShot here.

Racking up partial kit

Postby bgc » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:38 am

Hi,

I'm having a hard time finishing up my first few pres. I didn't have much troublewith the preamps
themselves but the assembling the chassis is mystifying me.

I have only thre preamps right now. What's the best way to wire up the harness for only these three?

Thanks,
Eric
bgc

Postby cAPSLOCK » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Seems to me there are two choices for this.

1. You can either wire up the harness with connectors for all 8 possible cards (in which case you will have to get the missing molex connectors),

2. You can build the harness with enough connectors for what you have, and either
A. Install the extra 6 inch wires in the last molex connector and tape the ends. These ends will go to the next card when you build it.
B Don't install the extra 6 inch wires, but be prepared to rebuild this last connector when you need to. I think you will need a new set of those little crimped end things.

I chose to do 2A. ;) I would have just done #1, but I didnt have easy access to the molex connectors needed for it.

Building the harness is fiddly, and doing it neatly is hard but possible. Still it would be easier if I had 3 hands for this step. ;)

There is a thread on here that puts forth the idea of using punched on connectors and ribbon cable I think. I chose to just use the supplied pards, as I think it's not THAT horribly difficult.

cAPS
cAPSLOCK

Postby bgc » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Thanks, I'll go with the partial harness for now. It's not that
difficult with the proper tool. Get the right crimper!

Eric
bgc

Postby cAPSLOCK » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:55 am

I got the one suggested in the instructions. Do you have another suggestion or am I just a fiddly crimpler. Hehe.. The Fiddly Crimpers may be a good band name. Scuse me for turning into Dave Barry for a second.
cAPSLOCK

Postby bgc » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:16 am

I just have the one recommended in the instructions but I
didn't get it until after I began work on the harness. I had
one that looked vaguely similar but functioned terribly.

I just hope nobody tries to do this with pliers and a screwdriver
to avoid buying a $15 tool.

Eric
bgc

Return to Chassis and Power Supplies