Page 1 of 1

PS03 Voltages Off

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:17 pm
by ErikB
D'oh...

I'm just about done with my complete N72 kit...finished the N72 this morning and I was about done getting the chassis and PSU ready, but my voltages are off:

Pin 1 - +29.78
Pin 3 - -29.78
Pin 5 - +47.5

Since this was a complete kit, the power supply came assembled and I assume it was done correctly. The only thing I've done was wire up the IEC ground wire, power switch and indicator. There were no instructions, so did I miss something? What's wrong?

And what the heck do I do with the split open capsule thing and the ceramic-like tube?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:35 pm
by ErikB
After taking a break and watching a couple of the Simpson's Halloween Specials, I realized "+30V, -30V, +48V" is above the LEDs. If the PS03 is stepped up from the 02, my voltages are just fine, correct? Everything would be ~+/- 1% tolerance...

Why the step up and will it affect the preamps in anyway?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:11 am
by Nerdyrocker
Tim sent me an email when he decided to start making a PS03 instead of the PS02 due to the backorderd parts. I received my chassis and my PS03 on Friday (my two A12's were finished already).
I started out going by the PS02 instructions. WOOPS, the PS03 is made to work with any voltage so the jumpers werent needed. I dug out that email that he sent out. It said the new PS03 has simple on board indicators if it is working properly, needs no jumpers, and has more power. All I had to do was the power switch, the massive LED, and the molex to the pres. I am now finished. I tested as far as plugging in an SM7 and simply talking in it while going through the gain stages, flipping polarity, and phantom (SM7 doesnt need it but it popped when I flipped it so I assume it is fine. I have a session this weekend at the studio I work part time at. We have a lunchbox full of API 512's there so I will compare the A12'S with those.

Happy Building!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:14 am
by ErikB
So the 30V won't hurt anything? Sounds good to me....I'm only an hour away from being 100% finished! And it's a good thing, too...I have a band tracking vocals tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:44 pm
by Nerdyrocker
Im not the best or most intelligent when it comes to this stuff but from what I understand, most or all of the pres have onboard regulators and that is the reason that these voltages are OK. The regulators will not allow anything through that should not be there.

Tim-
Nice touch with the 3 LED's. I thoroughly enjoy watching them light up.

Later...