What is important in a chassis?

Post questions or comments about the CH02 and OneShot here.

What is important in a chassis?

Postby PJD3 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:31 am

Hello Everyone. My birthday is coming up and my main gift will be an order from Seventh Circle and maybe (if I'm a real good boy) a rackmount enclosure for modules as they are collected. I've decided to modify my own rack from scratch. I've had a good time with building projects in the past and I have access to a nice little machine shop.(including a Bridgeport mill machine).
I would sure appreciate some feedback over some concerns about whats important in a rack system for the preamp modules. I see that some companies offer units that boast significantly improved RFI rejection which seems like an asset to any kind of audio electronics, especially anything that amplifies, but then I notice that the CH01 chassis has some generous ventilation. Is it more important to have good ventilation than improved RFI rejection assuming you cant have both? If the enclosure was big enough to space out the modules and dissipate some heat, could you use a non-ventilated rack without negative drawbacks from heat buildup? I like the looks of those improved RFI rejection racks from Par-metal but they are not ventilated. Also, do you think any standard 2U rack will allow the modules to be oriented vertically as in the CH01 chassis? If it was an issue I have no problem just getting a 3U rack. I plan on starting with just a rack and the PS02. For financial reasons I'll need to wait a bit for the first J99. (Just moved my wife and 3 kids to a new home). I do want to get started on this though. I haven't been this excited about a project like this in a long time and these Seventh Circle kits look great!! Thanks ahead for your time and feedback. I really want to get off to a good well informed start! Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Phil
First things first.
PJD3
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:02 am
Location: Revere, MA

Postby sbranco » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:51 pm

There have been a couple threads where guys were looking to use different chassis purchased elsewhere. Tim has given some good responses if you peruse the board. Apparently, it is a really tight fit to get the modules vertically into a two unit height enclosure. Most other chassis don't quite have enough room and Tim's barely makes it. Looks like Tim put a lot of thought into the Chassis offered. Not sure if money is an object but you might email him and see what he might try differently if money wasn't an issue? Good luck with it.
sbranco
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:08 am

Got an answer to the ventilation/RFI question

Postby PJD3 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:21 am

Tim was kind enough to let me know that ventilation is required for the modules an power supply and that the vent openings do not compromise the shielding at the frequencies of interest.

Kind regards,

PJD3
First things first.
PJD3
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:02 am
Location: Revere, MA


Return to Chassis and Power Supplies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests