Page 1 of 1

20 dB Trim mod possible on a C84?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:08 pm
by Ken Schumacher
The N72 forum describes a resistor substitution that makes the trim pot range through 20 dB instead of 6. I would really like to have that range on my two C84s, because I do live location recording and don't want to jump levels during the middle of a song. Levels are unpredictable on location.

Any suggestions? I'll look at the schematics to make a guess as to what might be involved, but am really ignorant about that level of electronics.

Thanks,

Ken

Once more, with feeling...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:18 pm
by Ken Schumacher
No response, so I thought I'd ask again. Can the C84 be modified to have the gain trim knob range through 20 db? The N72 can do this by swapping a 1.1k Ohm resistor for the zero ohm. I tried to compare the schematics for the two kits but unfortunately I'm clueless on that level of electronics.

Can anyone figure this one out? Tim, are you reading this? Am I out of my mind with this plea?

Ken Schumacher
www.livevibesrecording.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:09 pm
by tpryan
Possible, but not terribly easy. You'd have to recalculate R26, R28, and R30 to get the desired range of attenuation, then recalculate R51, R56, R65, and R77 to compensate for the different insertion loss. I won't be doing it anytime soon.

Thanks Tim for your reply.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:40 pm
by Ken Schumacher
tpryan \$m[1]:Possible, but not terribly easy. You'd have to recalculate R26, R28, and R30 to get the desired range of attenuation, then recalculate R51, R56, R65, and R77 to compensate for the different insertion loss. I won't be doing it anytime soon.


I kinda guessed it would probably be complicated. Thanks for your reply to my question, Tim.

Ken Schumacher