phase differences between versions?

Post questions or comments about the C84 here.

phase differences between versions?

Postby PJD3 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi, I don't want to stir up anything, this could very well be my own perception messing with me.
My newest C84 is a later version than my first one. I record in stereo quite a bit with a fairly matched set of omni microphones (Little Blondies).
What I've come to notice is that when the phase switches are in the same position on each C84, even a sound source largely common to both mics seem to exhibit a heavy L & R soundstage with not much center image. when I flip the phase of one of them, I get a very solid phantom center sound image. I usually would attribute the latter with being in phase as there is nowhere near as much cancellation apparent. It did just strike me right now that I've been assuming that my mic cables are in phase. I'd better check that, I use the same pair of mic cable any time I record in stereo with the omni's. As matter of course, I use the phase arrangement that I prefer the sound of so, thats what ultimately matters. I just wanted to see if anyone was aware of any phase switch postition differences that may have happened from one version to another.

Thanks for reading! Time to test my cables!

Phil Donovan
First things first.
PJD3

Return to C84