C84 vs. Sytek MPX4A comparison?

Post questions or comments about the C84 here.

C84 vs. Sytek MPX4A comparison?

Postby niccolo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Hi,
first post here.
My N72 and A12 are on their way as my first buy from SCA (along with PSU, Chassis and wire harness).
I have no match for the pres i've mentioned since i've never used anything wth iron in the path.But it's almost two years that i'm the proud owner of 4 ch. of Sytek MPX4A (two stock and two Burr Browns). Since, from what i hear, the nearest thing to Syteks is the C84, and since I happen to record acoustic instruments quite often, I'd like to hear some comparison from someone that used both of them (Sytek and C84's)
Even if it seems that J99's are the REAL thing.. (drool)

thanks a lot from a new family member
niccolo

Postby Karl » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:05 pm

anybody had an experience with both of these lately? I too am in the market for "fast/clean" preamp just like a MPX4 is described, but if I had the chance to build another one of these kits, I'd totally jump at the chance... Plus the J99 is tempting me right now too. Really, all I'm looking for is solid assurance that the C84 would be considered a "fast/clean" preamp in the "leagues" of the Sytek.

Built and use (4) A12 and (4) N72 since 2006 and am a rabid 7th Circle Fan!
Karl

Postby tpryan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:37 pm

If you're considering a Sytek, the C84 will not disappoint.
tpryan
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Alrighty!

This coming from the man himself!! Get ready for another order, then...

DIY FOREVER!!
Karl

Postby Karl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Okay, so first session with C84's on stereo drum overheads. Holy crap. So much clarity and detail, it's great! Used my NT4's, so I really can't wait to hear these pres with my nicer microphones!! Next weekend I'll try the 4041's on a nicer drumset. For the price, these things are a total STEAL!! I've used Grace, Millenia, AEA, and True stuff. I hate to be one of those guys, but this has the clarity I remember from those units. Whatever, for me it will be exactly what I was looking for for way less money.

As always, the build was very enjoyable and incredibly easy thanks to the detailed instructions. Plus, my rack looks even cooler now!

Next up will be some J99's and I think I'll have a perfectly rounded-out pre selection. Hail Seventh Circle!! Hail!!!
Karl

Postby Karl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Still continuing to love and use C84's on OH standard duty for nearly every session...
Karl

C84 and Little Blondies

Postby PJD3 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:02 am

Ditto, I getting some serious milage from a combinations of Samians Little Blondie Omni condenser mic pair, (go to Gearslutz for more info) into my two C84's. When I want clarity, spaciousness and impact, that combo get me there everytime.
First things first.
PJD3

Return to C84