Page 1 of 1
New transformer options for the A12??

Posted:
Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 pm
by crtstudios
I just ordered my first A12 yesterday, and today I see that there are now transformer option for the A12. I'm curious what transformer I'll be receiving, and how much difference the different transformers will make in future A12's I buy. I am planning on buying 3 more in the near future..

Posted:
Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:41 pm
by tpryan
We've been offering transformer upgrades for months, they were just a separate line item on the order page until today. The standard A12 transformer is the CMOQ-2S. Unless you order an upgrade, that's what we'll ship.

Posted:
Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:43 pm
by unchartedthickets
hey,
i'm not exactly electrically inclined but maybe you're confusing op amp
with transformer. they're not the same but can act similarly in terms of changing current strength across a circuit. if i'm wrong, please chime in.
i hope discussion happens regardless.
the A12 has three op amp choices just like the N72 and J99. the op amps are
named: SC10, SC25, SC99. for the compressor we have transformers that are named: 2S, 2L, 2H.
if someone with good electrical knowhow coupled with clear and simple english skills has more ideas about the difference, i'd love to read the following breakdown. wikipedia is killing me.

Posted:
Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:44 pm
by unchartedthickets
ok, ooops. never you mind.

Posted:
Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:14 pm
by crtstudios
Can you give me some idea of what the new transformer options will sound like compared to the regular one? I intend on getting a fewA12's, and might do well getting different transformers in each...

Posted:
Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:26 pm
by jmettam
crtstudios \$m[1]:Can you give me some idea of what the new transformer options will sound like compared to the regular one? I intend on getting a fewA12's, and might do well getting different transformers in each...
There was a small thread about this here:
http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA ... php?t=1787And from Tim:
tpryan \$m[1]:We're now stocking
CMOQ-2L low-nickel and
CMOQ-2H high-nickel output transformers for the A12. These parts give lower distortion and less "color" than the standard steel transformers for more variations in tone.
I would also love for someone to attempt to describe the difference in sound. Hopefully using a well known pre as a point of reference. Anyone?
Thanks!
- John