Page 1 of 1

J6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:53 pm
by dtrax
So I received my A12 this afternoon and have begun assembly. So far so good. I'm breezing thru much quicker that when I built the N72 and J99 pre's.

My apologies for the newb question, but I had a question/idea about J6. The instructions say that at J6 the amplitude is half that of CONN2 (output XLR). If I install a header and jumper J6, will the amplitude be half at CONN2?

I think this would be a great option if what I have in my head is true. Especially for tracking kick and snare, where I'd be after some transformer saturation to tame the sharp transients.

If I'm off base, what is the reason for having an isolated output at J6? In other words, why is it in the circuit?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 pm
by tpryan
J6 provides an isolated split to drive a meter, remote recorder, etc. If you don't plan to use it for such, don't install the header and definitely do not jumper it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:06 pm
by dtrax
tpryan \$m[1]:J6 provides an isolated split to drive a meter, remote recorder, etc. If you don't plan to use it for such, don't install the header and definitely do not jumper it.

Thanks for the reply Tim. Rather than do anything stupid I wanted to ask first. I noticed on the API a2d pre they have a 2:1 button that halves the output which is what got me thinking this could be used for.

In any event, the a12 is built and sounding lovely!