Page 1 of 1

Two A12's not working...PLEASE HELP!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:09 pm
by jamesbryant
I have checked both multiple times and all the components are in the right places.

I made the same mistake with both of them, I didn't realize it until I had finished both. I didn't install the mill-max receptacles for the SC25. I soldered the SC25 to both of the PCB's.

When I first finished them both I check the voltage readings for the SC25 and both pin 3 and pin 5 had acceptable readings. so I raised the trim pots so that U1 could be +18v and -18v. The first one raised to 18v, positive and negative. but on the second one only the negative would reach 18v. The + would only get no more than 17.03.

When I powered them both up everything seemed fine, until I hook them up.

One was not passing a signal and all I could hear is was very low hissing.

The second one made a high pitch screeching sound.

And on both of them U4 became extremely hot.

I pulled both op-amps out and put in the mill-max receptacles and then put in the SC25's.

Now on one of them I am getting different readings on U1 Pin 3 and 5.
A few times both pins have showed around 14: -14.5 thru -14.6 and + 14.5 thru + 14.75 and other times I will get a reading of + 02.0 thru + 03.2 and the red LED will begin flashing at some point while power is turned on. If the I/O's are connected I hear a pop that corresponds with the flashing of the LED. And the output transformer gradually heats up, but not as hot as heat sink U4.

The second A12 I get acceptable readings at U1 when the trim pots are turned to their lowest levels. When I attempt to raise the trim pots to +18v and -18v the red LED begins to flash.

I don't know if I caused something to malfunction when I hooked them up while the SC25's were soldered on or not. I do know that all components are in the right places. There are no solder bridges. I don't know what to do. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:50 pm
by jamesbryant
Ok I have fixed the second one.

A few corrections on the first one's symptoms.

The heat sink that becomes extremely hot is U5 instead of U4.

When I first power up the readings at U1 are exactly what they are suppose to be. After about a minute and 20 seconds the red LED starts to blink and the negative pin starts fluctuating voltages.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 am
by tpryan
Sounds like a bad SC25. Send an e-mail to rma@seventhcircleaudio.com for return instructions.