Is this DIY thing for me?

Post questions or comments about the A12 here.

Is this DIY thing for me?

Postby chunger » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:02 pm

I've been re-assembling my recording studio after 7 years of dormancy, and came across 7th circle while looking for high quality preamps. I wanted to check and see if I have a decent chance of success.

I know almost nothing about electronics, but I'm pretty darn meticulous and am good with my hands. . . much better than with my ears I'm afraid :shock:

I did build a pair of Megasquirt fuel injection controllers without issue. It was soldering onto circuit boards. I knew nothing about what was going on electronically. . . All I did was build by the numbers. . . put the right parts in the right spots and make nice, clean, beautiful solder joints. I can do that!

I have several pieces of vintage analog gear that are intermittent or do not work right, and it's completely beyond me to diagnose and repair these old pieces by myself. I am interested in learning about these things, and building some top shelf pre's myself (new) with support (this forum) seems to be a win win situation. I'm hoping that building some kits will de-mystify the analog world for me a little bit. I'm also hoping that new units will not need the constant babying the vintage pieces require. It seems my old, old stuff simply needs to be re-built anyways. I just have no clue where to start.

If something does go wrong with the new preamps, I can at least open the hood and do a couple of meaningful diagnostic tests and repairs if need be if I built them.
chunger
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:19 pm

You just described me.

Postby bkspero » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Four A12's and 2 N72's (and counting). Measuring 2 and 3 times and cutting once (to borrow the metaphor). Check the resistor's color codes, then measure with a meter, then bend and solder. Fit all the parts together first before mounting. Have all the tools (both required and recommended...except for an O'scope). If something doesn't fit smoothly, figure that you've done something wrong and start looking then (don't wait until the end to find an error). Read all the threads relating to a particular item before building. Read thru the instructions and any revision documents on this forum.

When I read what I wrote above, it seems more imposing than it is. If you can solder, and you can paint by the numbers, you can do this.
bkspero
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:12 pm

Postby Mylithra » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:12 am

These kits arent too hard to build. If you can follow directions and have a good eye for details, it shouldnt present too much problem. I started by building the T15 and had no problems. Even fired up correctly the first time, just from following the assembly guide and reading the common traps people fall into in this forum.
Mylithra
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Postby djc251 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:10 am

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in here. I hadn't built any sort of PCB kit from scratch, but had a little bit of experience soldering on PCB's. I think that as long as you can follow instructions and identify the parts (which is a lot easier than it initially seems), you will be fine. I started with the N72 and it fired up right the first time. I say go for it!
djc251
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:55 pm
Location: Fargo, ND


Return to A12

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests