Page 1 of 1

Two J99's Output different on both

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:17 pm
by Nu-tra
Hi Tim or anyone that can help. I am getting ready to seal up my chassis when I noticed my outputs volume of my j99's are different from each other. Both are set to -18 +18 but the volume is louder on my newer one that has the bias trim section. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 pm
by Nu-tra
EDIT. My older j99 without the bias section is louder. Any thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:36 am
by Nu-tra
anyone have any ideas? I want to close my chasis up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:27 am
by tpryan
The latest rev is set up so gain matches the other modules more closely. I don't think you have a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:28 am
by Nu-tra
ok thanks what if I wanted to sum through it? Just have themes rev one louder?


Nigel tuffnel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:05 pm
by tpryan
You can easily trim the gain to match. You could also swap the old rev gain resistors to match the new ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:45 pm
by Nu-tra
sorry tim
I'm a hack. Which resistors are they? What procedure to chane the gain?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:59 pm
by Nu-tra
Hi Tim

If it's not too much trouble. Can you tell which resistors to change and what values to change them to?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:07 am
by Nu-tra
Does anyone know?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:03 am
by tpryan
You can change R5 - R9 and R11 - R15 on rev 3.3 and 3.4 to match R8 - R11 and R18 - R22 on rev 3.6. If it's not clear how to do it from the schematic, it's probably not a good idea to try it yourself. Realize also that changing the gain resistors still won't make a matched pair, since the sum of R1 - R4 on rev 3.3 needs to equal the sum of R3 - R7 on rev 3.5. That total resistance sets the input impedance, which is 1200 ohms for rev 3.6 but slightly lower for older revs. R1 - R4 would have to be recalculated to match the higher impedance and still retain the 5dB steps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:07 pm
by Nu-tra
What voltage/gain do you recommend I set the older rev J99 to? Will this affect the preamps performance/headroom?