Getting ready to build my J99's, any suggestions?

Post questions or comments about the J99 here.

Getting ready to build my J99's, any suggestions?

Postby tazman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:49 am

I just built 2 N72's and 2 A12's. I am about to start building 2 J99's. These will be built with the stock op-amps. Anything I should know before starting? Any lessons learned? I know about the sticky on the forum.

Thanks,

Rob
tazman
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:14 am

Postby niccolo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:19 am

Keep a drool bucket nearby when testing them.. 8)

sorry, couln't help it.. :oops:
Niccolo Gallio
Using:
3x N72, 3x A12, 2x J99 into MH labs 2882+DSP
niccolo
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:43 am
Location: Firenze, Italy

Postby tazman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:17 am

Grazie per l'informazione. Che op-amps hai? Gia' gli A12 e N72 sono meravigliosi. L'intenzione e' di usare i J99 per drum overheads. Se tutto va bene li finisco entro il 26. Il batterista porta la batteria nello studio il 27 o 28 e spero di riuscure a fare dei testi di registrazione :lol:
tazman
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:14 am

Postby niccolo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:44 am

I'm completing a transaction to purchase my J99 from a fellow SCA enthusiast.
so cannot comment on opamps..
the drool bucket was a generic forecast based on my experience with A12 and N72.
Seriously the only advice I can give you is to proceed very slowly, do not rush any step, triple check resistor values (color code, silk screen & DMM), take some breaks during the assembly and be shure to have the correct revision assembly instructions.

best of fun to you..

BTW what kind of session is it going to be?
on which source do you plan to use your three different SCA flavors?
Niccolo Gallio
Using:
3x N72, 3x A12, 2x J99 into MH labs 2882+DSP
niccolo
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:43 am
Location: Firenze, Italy

Postby tazman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:04 pm

The A12's and N72's went really smooth and I was able to build the N72's in about 4 hours each. I was just wondering if the J99's have something to pay particular attention to. For instance on the N72, you have to remember to use the piece of paper. I forgot the first time and it was a pain to remove things.

The session is actually a test session, basically a couple of musician friends are coming over to play some music (drums and bass, I play guitar). The current plan is:

N72 on kick (D112)

N72 on snare top (SM57, maybe)

A12's on each tom (I have not seen his kit yet but I assume he has 4 toms. Mics will be Audix)

J99's for overheads (CAD M179 mics I just ordered and was told they are really good for OH's)

That will pretty much take up all 8 pres. For the guitar I will probably use an SM57 thought either the MOTU 828 pres, MOTU 896HD pres or other pres I have.

Bass will probably get DI'd to my Dual MP tube mic pre. I love the sound of that thing on bass.

Cheers,

Rob
tazman
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:14 am

Postby niccolo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:09 pm

Cool,
have fun, lots of.
Niccolo Gallio
Using:
3x N72, 3x A12, 2x J99 into MH labs 2882+DSP
niccolo
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:43 am
Location: Firenze, Italy


Return to J99

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests