Rev 3.3 - assembly instruction differences

Post questions or comments about the N72 here.

Rev 3.3 - assembly instruction differences

Postby ckeene » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:29 am

Hello,

I have a N72 v3.3 module I just finished and have a few questions before I power up. Mostly, these are issues related to differences between the 3.3 version and the version in the online assembly instructions.

First, the instructions list jumpers J2 (600 Ohm compatibility), J3 (input grounding) and J4 (output grounding). Those are now gone in v3.3.

Second, v3.3 has four 3-legged blue RF filters L3, L4, L5 and L6 that aren't mentioned in the instructions. Looking at the schematic, they seem to be necessary to complete the circuit and orientation of legs doesn't seem to matter. I soldered them in, but please correct me if there's anything else I should know.

Third, the 3.3 kit has connector blocks Conn 3 and Conn 5 that aren't in the instructions. I think Conn 3 can supply voltage, and I think Conn 5 is an insert point. I'm not sure if either is required, and if so, I don't know which directions the connectors are oriented.

Lastly, there's a piece in the assembly instructions for a crude test for a short, prior to power-up. It refers to J1, which isn't there:
Just to make sure you haven't created any blatant shorts, measure the resistance between pins 1 and 2 of J1. Do the same for pins 3 and 2. If you measure a steady resistance under 100 ohms, don't apply power....

I imagine an equivalent test for the J1-less v3.3 would just be between pin 1 of the XLR input jack and pins 2 and 3?

Thank you, and I do apologize if this was covered elsewhere. I did look and couldn't find any authoritative info on the version differences.

-Chris
ckeene

Re: Rev 3.3 - assembly instruction differences

Postby teleharmonic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:37 am

Hi Chris,

I am wondering what the outcome to the blue filters question was? I am at the same stage in my assembly and I am assuming they go in, in any direction, but thought I'd check in on the rest of your build.

Cheers
Greg
teleharmonic

Return to N72