Page 1 of 1

Rack of 8. All Modules then test or 1 pre and test?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:46 pm
by thirteenblack
Should we build the chassis and the power supply and one unit?

Better question: Should I test the unit by building one of the units, hooking it up to the ps and testing or should I put all 8 in; connect and test?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:13 pm
by dkatz42
You're not going to be able to test them in the chassis, as it will be impossible to get to the places you need to reach to set the voltages.

Just lay each board down onto a nonconductive surface and do your basic tests. I bench-tested them this way, both for the final voltage trims and for basic functional testing. Once they all seemed to work, I stuffed the chassis.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:54 pm
by Randyman...
And don't forget to let each module get up to normal operating temps, and then re-set the voltages and bias/offset. The A12 seems to be especially "Drifty" until it gets to normal operating temps...

8)

just to be sure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:35 pm
by thirteenblack
If this is discussed in the directions and I'm just being antsy, just let me know now and I won't worry. I just ordered them on Friday and haven't gotten them yet.

SO, do I test, then hook up each one to the powersupply and then disconnect it and test the voltages, offset etc while it's still warm?

OR: do I connect each one, let it heat up..test it while it's connected and powered up and then remove it and do the same to all of them?

Again..just tell me if it's easy and discussed in the directions for putting together all of them.

By the way..I got five A-12's and 3 C84's.

Thanks again. Can't wait to get started.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:52 pm
by Randyman...
It is in the directions. But the voltage and bias must be set while the module is powered up. Be careful not to let your DMM Probe slip and short-circuit the module when testing.

Just follow the online PDF directions VERBATIM, and you will be in business before you know it. Check each resistor with your DMM before you install it to verify their values. This forum is also an invaluable resource if you get stumped...

NTM, Tim is the man...

8)