Page 1 of 1

Limited experience building electronics projects

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:20 am
by audioartist202
Ok, next question. I have worked extensively with cable and
connectors. I re wired my entire studio 2 years ago and put together my
own balanced snakes and patch bay harness with a total of 440 points in
the bay, so, I can solder. I have also done minor component changes
on the boards in my wheatstone console. Replace all the faders and
changed a few resistors, but this assembly suggests that these kits are not
the place to start. Can anyone suggest a simple, low cost project I could build as a way of getting my chops up so that I don't ruin my first SCA kit
through inexperience?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:37 am
by jmoore
I had less experience than you and was able to build a J99 without any trouble whatsoever. It probably took me longer than most, but I took my time and made sure I followed the instructions to the letter and it has worked like a champ. I can't speak for the other kits, but I'm confident you could build a J99.

-jordan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:10 am
by dkatz42
If you can solder, and can identify components (and get them in the right way around), and can follow instructions, I doubt you'll have any difficulties.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:43 pm
by aphid310
the boards are real neat and the pads take solder quite well. If you have a fine tiped iron and get the recommended solder, its like painting by numbers. Almost literally considering the silkscreened boards and how detailed the Build of Materials list is.

I highly recommend taking some time and labeling the resistors first before plugging them in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:43 pm
by iaxy
I built the N72, allthough I have experience in this, I don't see why you can't do this if you follow the instructions. The instructions are top notch. Plus you have this forum that would guide youthrough any troubles. No to mentioon the sound you would get.....

Just do it.


Bob