Page 1 of 1

DMM question

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:33 pm
by joellegros
Hi this is my first post, although I've been lurking this board for a while now. I've been collecting my list of tools to start these pres and was curious about this DMM that I found. http://electronickits.com/gold/dt5806.htm

Can anyone tell me if this is any good? If not, what should I be looking for in a DMM?

I'm very new to everything including soldering, but I plan on getting a piece of copper clad perfboard and some resistors to practice on.

Also, I found links of these other tools if it helps anyone.

Thanks for your help!

Soldering Iron station $77.95

http://shop.kiesub.com/Detail.bok?no=3


Soldering Tip (900 MTB) $5.10

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/s ... 0460-0011/


Solder Sucker $9.99

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct. ... &sort=prod


Phillips screwdriver (#1) $5.29

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XVU41&P=FR


1/4" nut driver $12.99

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XADP0&P=FR


Hand Crimp Tool $14.99

http://jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser ... tId=308030


Precision straight blade screwdrivers $2.95

http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies.com ... D/ETSCR910


Lead bender $ 2.94

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler ... deid=51606


4-40 tap $1.99

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/han8012.html


T-Handle wrench $4.73

http://www.tools-plus.com/han12001.html


MOLEX crimp tool $16.94

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Produc ... =W-HT-1919


Circuit Board Holder $33.00

http://www.smallparts.com/products/desc ... dheads.cfm


Total = $216.81

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:13 am
by tpryan
I don't have any first-hand experience with that brand, but it certainly has the right features. Some low-cost meters that I can vouch for are Tenma and Extech.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:30 am
by joellegros
is there a possibility of getting inaccurate readings from a cheap DMM?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:09 am
by dkatz42
joellegros \$m[1]:is there a possibility of getting inaccurate readings from a cheap DMM?

The accuracy specs should be published by the manufacturer, but for the purposes of assembling these kits you don't need anything fancy.

Back in the old days we somehow got by with analog meters and comparatively limited accuracy. Anybody old enough to remember worrying about circuit loading effects with a VOM? The great technological breakthrough with sticking a FET in the front end? Getting shocks from a vacuum tube B+ supply? I'll go back to my Geritol and rocker now...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:34 pm
by joellegros
thanks guys