Page 1 of 1

N72 as DI using TS to XLR cable? Good idea or Bad News?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:13 am
by T-rex
I am LOVING the N72 for a variety of sources and while going through some old cables the other day I ran across an XLR to 1/4 inch unbalanced TS (not TRS). Other than the obvious precaution of absolutely not turning on the Phantom power, would it be harmful to run a keyboard or other line input into the N72 (or another module or pre) using TS to XLR?

I definitely am looking forward to the DI's Tim is coming up with and I also thought about the Hamptone which everyone says has great DI qualities. But I would love to hear some keys or even (gasp) a bass guitar etc through the N72, cause it's what I have at the moment and it sounds great, however I don't want to hurt anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:10 am
by tele_player
Get a passive DI box. It's a transformer which correctly matches an instrument to a mic input. Bass sounds great through N72 (with a passive DI box in front.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:23 am
by T-rex
Like the Radial stuff? I didn't think about that, thanks.

Would that be the same for line level, like a key board, or would that work without one?

Thanks for the quick reply!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:41 am
by tele_player
I was thinking more like the passive Groove Tubes or Whirlwind box.

I'm not sure about the keyboard. They're not quite +4 line level, they still might be way too hot for a mic preamp, but you can turn down the output. I'd try it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:00 am
by yavuz
T-rex \$m[1]:Like the Radial stuff? I didn't think about that, thanks.


Radial has active and passive boxes.
I have tried Radials' PRO DI Passive Direct Box with N72s.
It is very good.

So far, I am using POD XT into a pair of N72s and It is really good sound for guitar.