Undecided and need help for my first rack + four pres

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

Undecided and need help for my first rack + four pres

Postby yavuz » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:15 am

I am another new kid (a 40 year old but still a kid) in town.
I want to start building an 8 space Rack with J99s and others.
I want to start with 1 rack.

I am undecided to go with 2 j99 + 2N72s.
What do you guys think?

I do not know their sound except I heard they are supposed to be really good.

I have soldering experience from pickup wiring.
Can i do these myself?
yavuz
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 am
Location: New York

Postby Karl » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:37 am

The answers to ALL the questions you have are already all over this message board. Do some searches, or just start reading all the posts. What you want is up to YOU. How can any of us tell you what you need especially when we don't know anything about you or what type of music you do.... A12's and N72's for ROCK and anything "aggressive", J99's and C84's for "uncoloured" transparent stuff. There are detailed descriptions of all the pres as well right on the website.

I just can't wait for some dynamics processors for the mastermind Tim (HINT HINT!!!)

Good luck!
Karl
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN

Postby yavuz » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:32 am

Karl \$m[1]:The answers to ALL the questions you have are already all over this message board. Do some searches, or just start reading all the posts. What you want is up to YOU. !


OK, I found some posts.
I have already ordered

1 X Ch01KF full kit
1 X PS03 Power supply
2 X J99s

I also ordered

1 X Hakko 936 solder station
1 X Digital Multi Meter
1 X KESTER Rosin Core 63/37 0.25 diameter

I still need to find
1 x Small Diagonal cutter
1 x Wire Stripper (There are different Gauges And I have no clue which one)
1 X Small needle nose pliers

I also want to get a Lead Bender from optional tools.

BTW, I play jazz.
If you click on my signature or got http://yavuzakyazici.com , You can hear some of my music.
yavuz
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 am
Location: New York

Postby Reggie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:19 pm

Cool man, I think you'll really like the j99's. I imagine they would be perfect for jazz: Nice, smooth, and sweet. Don't forget you have $200 worth of opamps to buy now. John Hardy 990C's are the norm.

About the lead bender: meh, I'm faster just bending the corner around my fingernail to make sure it doesn't bend too hard where it connects to the component. But some might find it useful.
Reggie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Missouri

Postby yavuz » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:14 pm

Reggie \$m[1]:Cool man, I think you'll really like the j99's. I imagine they would be perfect for jazz: Nice, smooth, and sweet. Don't forget you have $200 worth of opamps to buy now. John Hardy 990C's are the norm.


I had already ordered the 2 X J99s, so you are saying that I should go ahead with 4 of them?

I had actually tried an original Neve with an acoustic guitar at a firend's studio and I am embarrassed to say I did not like it. :oops:

I thought I might like it for electric guitars or Bass.
I was planning to have 6 X j99s and 2 X N72s in this rack when it is completed but I can only afford 4 preamps for now.
So I ordered 2 X j99s and I am planning for either 2 more or 2 X N72s.
yavuz
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 am
Location: New York

Postby Reggie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:30 am

Build the two and see what you think. If you really dig them, there wouldn't be anything wrong with a whole rack full of just J99s. I was just saying that you will need to order 4 of the 990C opamps from John Hardy (need 2 per channel).
Reggie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Missouri

Postby yavuz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:15 am

Reggie \$m[1]:Build the two and see what you think. If you really dig them, there wouldn't be anything wrong with a whole rack full of just J99s. I was just saying that you will need to order 4 of the 990C opamps from John Hardy (need 2 per channel).


I have ordered 2 X J99s already.
Then I saw the C84s were very cheap and very natural/transparent.
I though I could use 2 of those and added them.

Now I am thinking, I will order 2 X N72s next after I am done building these since I want to hear what they sound like.

I have a POD XT and I want to try going straight into a Neve clone to see what it sounds like. I have heard that a lot of people do that with POD XTs and they like the sound.
yavuz
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 am
Location: New York


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests