Best Preamps for Heavy Music

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

Best Preamps for Heavy Music

Postby aphid310 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:24 am

Hello,

I was wanting to purchase some pre's from SCA but was curious as to what everybody recommends for hard rock and metal applications. Does anybody favor one preamp to another in this area or have a configuration they like to use on drums, bass, guitar and vocals?

My initial assumption in a comfiguration is as such:

1. Two N72's for kicks, snare and over dubbing rock vocals/electric guitar
2. Two J99's for overheads, bass and the occasional clean vocal or accoustics instrument
3. Then fill the rest up with C84's for none critical stuff like toms and what not

Would I be better off just getting all J99's or N72's, possibly an even 4 and 4 split? Should I hold out for the A12's instead of the C84's?

I want a punchy modern sound but with texture and depth that's missing in most "NuMetal" records. I want to get away from the plastic HiFi sound but still retain as much of the power as possible.

Examples of what I want would be Poison the Well's "You Come Before You", Refused "Shape of Punk to Come", Rage Against the Machine "Evil Empire".

If anybody would happen to have examples of heavier music being recorded with these pre's I would be greatly appreciative as that's probably the only fair way to decide.

Thanks All

/////////////////////SIDE NOTES/////////////////////

I know mics play a great deal in the color so feel free to comment on that area. here is a break down of what I currently have:

1. DRUMS: I'm using 2 AKG c535eb's for overheads, an Audix D6 for kick, 2 Audix D4's for rack toms, 1 AKG D112 for floor tom and an Audix i5 or Shure SM57 on snare top/bottom.

2. GUITARS: i generally use the Audix i5 (way better than an sm57 by the way) and run a direct for use in Native Instruments' Guitar Rig

3. BASS: I've been using a Sans Amp Bass Driver to run direct and the Audix D6 to mic the cab.

4. VOCALS: I generally use the AKG c535eb or a Groove Tubes GT55

For critical stuff like vocals I currently use a Groove Tubes Brick preamp through an FMR Audio RNC compressor and then into an ADA converter. I have been somewhat pleased with the results but am wondering if the N72 would be better suited....

Sorry to ramble on and on :)
aphid310
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:25 pm

Postby Karl » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:56 am

I got (3) A12's and an N72 and I do Death and Black Metal all the time as well as rock and punk and everything in between. A12's for drums, N72 for everything else, and drums too! A12's have sounded great on guitars, too. And vocals, and ....well, everything. You won't be disappointed no matter what you get.

I have not heard the J99's or C84's yet, so I do not know. I do wish I had another A12 and three more N72's so I can fill up this chassis and have a KILLER tracking rig. I'd eventually like to get two J99's and some C84's, but money is tight!! We'll see. I know I'll probably never buy a ready-made "designer" preamp again, though!!
Karl
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN

Postby aphid310 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:20 am

thats's interesting about the A12's.... So would you say they are a more versitile preamp for heavy music then? My concern with the N72's is that, although i want texture, they might be TOO vintage and with the J99's i'm concerned that, even though i want the fullest sound, they might be TOO pristine...?

so perhaps i should get 2 N72's, 2 J99's and 4 A12's? Think that would be the best investment? Should I forgo the J99 all together or is it really much better for things like the occasional acoustic or piano?

Do you have any recordings you could share?

Chris
aphid310
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:25 pm

Postby Reggie » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:55 pm

so perhaps i should get 2 N72's, 2 J99's and 4 A12's?


I think that would be a great combo. The A12s can be great for screamy vocals, guitars, drums, whatever. You should probably start with these IMO.
Reggie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Missouri

Postby aphid310 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:02 pm

thanks for the recommendation :)

Is it because they are more versitile? would i initially get more mileage out of them over the N72's or J99's recording things like drums, guitars, vox and bass?

I guess what i'm asking is if the A12 is a flat head screw driver while the others are more like hex and allen wrenches?
aphid310
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:25 pm

Postby Reggie » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:17 pm

Maybe sorta what you are saying. I just think they sound really rad. :)
Reggie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Missouri

Postby Category 5 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:31 pm

I would hate to be without any of the three original SCA designs for most projects, but for heavy music in particular I would start with the A12s. They are the BEST for electric guitar and drums, and excellent for vox as well. Second best would be the N72 (but perhaps the best for heavy vox) and of course then the J99 (which are so clean and full it feels like you are diving into the instrument and capturing it from within). I have yet to hear the C84 but expect great things.

Shane
Category 5
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests