Getting ready to order, have a couple of questions..
Howdy howdy -
I've been lurking here for a couple of months and I'm finally getting ready to order my first batch of kits - I have a couple of questions. I have a few power supplies lying around from other projects, and a case that I had intended on using (almost like SCA's case) with a bunch of different pres. So the questions are these:
1. The case I have is 3U high - I assume that I should plan on having (and drill the holes in the faceplate accordingly) the cards resting on the bottom of it, as opposed to being suspended on the front panel by the knobs' nuts - which is sort of like me when I tell my wife I'm getting "another freaking preamp", as she says
.
2. I have a couple of power supplies left over - do I figure correctly that the bipolar 25V supply I have left (it's linear and around an amp and a half) should be fine, as the regulators are on the boards? As well, I racked a bunch of Quad Eights awhile ago, and they run natively on bipolar 28V (56 volt swing - yikes!) - as the PS02 puts out +-27V I figured that supply would be fine as well, correct?
3. Since the A12 is very similar to a 312, does that mean that it will run fine at bipolar 16V? Since a 2520 runs at 15V or so anyway (I thought) and I have a huge supply left at that voltage...
4. Anyone here try A/B'ing a 2520 to Tim's opamp? I continue to hear great things about it, and I'm considering just selling the two real 2520's I have left if there's no reason to keep them...
5. I usually build external cases for my supplies to avoid having to shield the bejesus out of them - and I'm planning on doing the same here...still a fine idea, right?
6. Anyone have a link to that Hakko soldering station folks have talked about here (around $60 or so, I thought?) - it's probably time to get a better iron.
7. Uh, I own a scope, but I am, uh - politely - a tad unsure of how actually to use the damn thing (traded a guitar for it awhile ago - I think it's at least 100 Mhz or something - I'm probably talking about it like an ape, sorry). Any tips on how to set what looks like the inside of the lunar module to set up the A12?
Sorry for all the questions, thanks a ton in advance for any replies, and thanks for all the help you cats give on the board - it seems like a cool community over here. I'm looking forward to warming up the iron!
Cheers,
Sean
I've been lurking here for a couple of months and I'm finally getting ready to order my first batch of kits - I have a couple of questions. I have a few power supplies lying around from other projects, and a case that I had intended on using (almost like SCA's case) with a bunch of different pres. So the questions are these:
1. The case I have is 3U high - I assume that I should plan on having (and drill the holes in the faceplate accordingly) the cards resting on the bottom of it, as opposed to being suspended on the front panel by the knobs' nuts - which is sort of like me when I tell my wife I'm getting "another freaking preamp", as she says
2. I have a couple of power supplies left over - do I figure correctly that the bipolar 25V supply I have left (it's linear and around an amp and a half) should be fine, as the regulators are on the boards? As well, I racked a bunch of Quad Eights awhile ago, and they run natively on bipolar 28V (56 volt swing - yikes!) - as the PS02 puts out +-27V I figured that supply would be fine as well, correct?
3. Since the A12 is very similar to a 312, does that mean that it will run fine at bipolar 16V? Since a 2520 runs at 15V or so anyway (I thought) and I have a huge supply left at that voltage...
4. Anyone here try A/B'ing a 2520 to Tim's opamp? I continue to hear great things about it, and I'm considering just selling the two real 2520's I have left if there's no reason to keep them...
5. I usually build external cases for my supplies to avoid having to shield the bejesus out of them - and I'm planning on doing the same here...still a fine idea, right?
6. Anyone have a link to that Hakko soldering station folks have talked about here (around $60 or so, I thought?) - it's probably time to get a better iron.
7. Uh, I own a scope, but I am, uh - politely - a tad unsure of how actually to use the damn thing (traded a guitar for it awhile ago - I think it's at least 100 Mhz or something - I'm probably talking about it like an ape, sorry). Any tips on how to set what looks like the inside of the lunar module to set up the A12?
Sorry for all the questions, thanks a ton in advance for any replies, and thanks for all the help you cats give on the board - it seems like a cool community over here. I'm looking forward to warming up the iron!
Cheers,
Sean