do it yourself?
I have heard a lot of good things about the preamps on this website.
I was just ready to order a pair of J99s plus powersupply when a technician-friend created a doubt about assembling my first own high end preamp.
He said that the tolerance of the transistors , resistors etc would be the main problem in getting a preamp that is truly top notch. A high end preamp should have handselected/ tested parts. Otherwise the desired quality would not be achieved.
That person said also that it easily happens to somebody who is not an expert in soldiering to spoil the transistors , etc ( by exposing them to too much heat?) which can leed to malfunctions or spoiled parts .
Of course, the right answer would be that all this is nonsense and I dont have to worry about it.
But please give me some evidence about your opinion.
Veet
I was just ready to order a pair of J99s plus powersupply when a technician-friend created a doubt about assembling my first own high end preamp.
He said that the tolerance of the transistors , resistors etc would be the main problem in getting a preamp that is truly top notch. A high end preamp should have handselected/ tested parts. Otherwise the desired quality would not be achieved.
That person said also that it easily happens to somebody who is not an expert in soldiering to spoil the transistors , etc ( by exposing them to too much heat?) which can leed to malfunctions or spoiled parts .
Of course, the right answer would be that all this is nonsense and I dont have to worry about it.
But please give me some evidence about your opinion.
Veet