N72 Wave Solder assembly

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

N72 Wave Solder assembly

Postby mrosso » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:19 am

Has anyone tried to assemble their N72 using wave solder process? I work for a company that has wave/flow solder and SMT capabilities. Since I'm terrible at soldering, are there any safe shortcuts you guys know of? Also, I was thinking about paying one of the techs here to assemble my N72. What should I offer in terms of payment?

Thanks
mrosso
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:16 am

Postby tpryan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:36 am

Since the boards weren't laid out with mass production in mind, there may not be enough clearance for conveyor "fingers" along the edges. I've had good results using dip solder methods, however. You'll have to mask the output transformer mounting holes and the pads for the input transformer and output transformer leads. You'll also need to secure certain components by bending leads or by using adhesive. Don't wave/dip the transformers, attach them by hand later. Don't run the soldered boards through the washer, the Grayhill switch and Bourns pots aren't completely process sealed. If you guys are still using rosin flux and VO solvents, wash them by hand with alcohol, taking care not to immerse the controls.

If you pay a tech to do it I'd hope you'd offer him what we charge, $175 per module. It'll take an experienced tech about 4 hours per module, including cleaning and bias ajustment. Paying someone to build them for you isn't going to do much to improve your skills, however.
tpryan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests