What all do I need to get started?

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

What all do I need to get started?

Postby NeglectedFred » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:10 am

OK, I'm just looking to dive in and do this. I can solder, and.. Well, that's it, but I'll do it!

So I know I need a Chasis, a power supply, and the preamp kits. My goal is to have 4 N72, and 4 A99. I'll probably just start with 2 N72's.

I'm seeing that I will need OpAmps?? Are these purchased here, or elsewhere? What is recommended, and what are used on API's and Neves?

Is there anything else I would need to get this things together to get it functioning and looking complete? (knobs included? anything else I need to know??)
NeglectedFred
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:58 am
Location: SLC, UT

Postby tele_player » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:02 pm

The J99 and A12 use op amps, the N72 does not. N72 full kits are complete, so get:
2 x N72KF
CH01KF
PS02KA (works with all the preamps, PS01 only works with N72)

That will get you two channels of N72, for about $900 + shipping + tax (if applicable.)
tele_player
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:09 pm

Postby NeglectedFred » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:06 pm

Yeah, I'm a moron, I had some confusion going on.. I meant the A12's (confused with J99's) OK, so the N72's are good as is, but what about the A12's, where do I turn for OpAmps, and what kind would I want if I was looking to have an API clone? Keep in mind, I'm a complete beginner, so if there's anything other than the OpAmps I might need, please let me know. Are OpAmps something I'd have to assemble?

Thanks for you help, I'd really like to get this going! :)
NeglectedFred
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:58 am
Location: SLC, UT

Postby NeglectedFred » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:20 pm

I figured it out.. So is the SCA OpAmp of the same quality as the API's or GML's - and is there any assembly required for the OpAmp (other than soldering it to the preamp?) Also, if I had 4 A12's, would I need 4 OpAmps?
NeglectedFred
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:58 am
Location: SLC, UT

Postby Category 5 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:46 pm

NeglectedFred \$m[1]:I figured it out.. So is the SCA OpAmp of the same quality as the API's or GML's - and is there any assembly required for the OpAmp (other than soldering it to the preamp?) Also, if I had 4 A12's, would I need 4 OpAmps?


Each A12 requires one op-amp. I have compared the SC25 to vintage 2520s, and they are pretty much the same. There are subtle high end differences, but after a significant amoutn of use I actually have been preferring the SC25s. The differences are so minimal only those with a real sensistive ear, or a lot of comparison time on their hands will notice a difference.

I think a lot more of the character comes from the iron core tranny anyway.

Shane
Category 5
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Postby tpryan » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:05 am

The SC25 is a "slightly improved" version of the 2520, in that certain technical specifications are better. It has very similar gain, distortion, slew rate, bandwidth, and output current specifications, and so it sounds very similar to the 2520. The SC25 is not optimized for minimum noise with low source impedances, and isn't the best op-amp for the J99. For the A12s, however, the best alternatives I'm aware of are the Avedis 1122 and original API 2520s.
tpryan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm

Postby NeglectedFred » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:48 pm

Thanks for your help guys, so for the A12's, are the SC25's going to have more noise than the 2520's? Where would I begin to find the alternative options? API's website doesn't seens to have anything on just OpAmops, that I can see, anyway..
NeglectedFred
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:58 am
Location: SLC, UT

Postby Category 5 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:41 pm

The SC25s will have slightly less noise. If you want an authentic API sound the SC25s are your best bet. The Avedis sounds nice, but are not much of a 2520 clone.

The only thing better than the SC25 for the real API tone that I can think of is a real 2520, but API will not sell them to you and they are HARD to find used.

Be warned, they are quite expensive used, and you have no way of knowing if they will work properly or not. Usually they are untested, or only tested for gain. Also, many of them have clipped pins which make it difficult to fit them into sockets. i was lucky enough to have a gotten a working pair, but in hindsight there is very little advantage (except for ego) to using the API part over the SC25...especially when you consider the price of the SC25 when purchased with the A12.

Shane
Category 5
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Postby NeglectedFred » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:21 pm

Thanks Shane.. You've just given me exactly the information I've been looking for.. I've decided to hold off a bit on this, I'm going to first build an LA2A clone. There's a book a guy sells, supposedly written in very lame-man's terms, complete baby steps.. Once I have it complete, I should have a little bit more experience and understanding. That's when I'll order my first N72. Between the two, the result should be one sweet channel strip - hopefully followed by a second channel of each.
I'm an Obsessive Compulsive with a new obsession, so I'm content I will complete this mission.. Within the next 4 months, I'm projecting.. Last time I became this obsessed with completing something I built my tracking room from the ground up in about two weeks with no building experience - so it may get done quicker, depending on order turn-around times. :)

I'll keep you posted on my progress, I'm waiting on the book now so that I can figure out the details, (ie. whether I'll need 2 power supllies, how big of a chasis I'll need, etc...) Then I'll need to order parts, so it may be a bit before I get back with any progress..

Thanks again, man!
NeglectedFred
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:58 am
Location: SLC, UT


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest