Page 1 of 1
anti static mat?!

Posted:
Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 am
by fifteenrabbits
oh come now. I just received two new preamps and now I need to order an anti static mat from somewhere?
I built my first T15 without one but I just want to be safe. especially cuz its winter now.
Radioshack has no mats.
Are there any alternatives? other safeguards I can use? other techniques I can execute?
I wanna build these now.
Thanks!
-E

Posted:
Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:43 pm
by fifteenrabbits
alright, humans.
This is what I've done:
I've taken a grounded cable and soldered some desoldering braid to the grounded wire and put the desoldering braid in my sock and plugged in the grounded cable.
Wish me luck, I'm going in.
-E
ps does anybody object to the logic in this idea?

Posted:
Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:29 pm
by brad347
not only do I not object, I want to thank you for making my evening with that mental picture.


Posted:
Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:03 pm
by fifteenrabbits
my pleasure, Brad.
But I do want to know if you are a credible source for electronics advice.
I did build a T15 that had favorable readings in the testing process outlined by the assembly instructions.
C84 next.

Posted:
Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:59 am
by niccolo
Your trick will work better if you put the braid and your feet into a bucket of water.

Posted:
Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:12 am
by fifteenrabbits
oh come now. be kind.
I figure that if I'm discharging my own static to ground then I'm much less likely to shock a sensitive component.
now, the anti-static mat seems to be more for keeping things other than myself from shocking sensitive components.
That is where I question my logic.
I'm working on a wooden desk with a wooden floor so I figure there's not much besides me to garner a static charge.
Is this a safe way to work on the SCA kits? That's what I'm trying to figure out here.
-E

Posted:
Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:00 pm
by niccolo
I'm sorry I didn't want to be sarcastic.
I just thought the atmosphere was humorous.
My bad.
I never had static problems in my electronics DIY history, even if I tend to accumulate static charges while doing the usual static-charging jobs.
I guess you should be fine too.
I'd avoid connecting myself to the ground wall-plug, but that's just me.

Posted:
Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:13 pm
by fifteenrabbits
Aye.
I'm not connecting myself to ground when I'm working with a powered on device. I only do it when I'm stuffing the board.
-Eeeevo
ps. no worries!


Posted:
Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:53 am
by tpryan
...and now I need to order an anti static mat from somewhere?
Wrist strap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6899261005
Mat:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... atic%20mat
Some background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrosta ... ive_device
Don't come crying when your otherwise perfect-looking board is mysteriously noisy or non-functional.

Posted:
Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:17 am
by fifteenrabbits
Thanks Tim.
I've already stuffed my two newest boards. I'm still waiting for a response from my other post to make sure that its alright to start using my C84.
http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA ... php?t=1522
I wholly hope not to cry.
I'll definitely get the anti-static mat soon.
-E
The Shack

Posted:
Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:05 pm
by samgreene
Where I'm at, radioshack does sell an anti-static mat with wrist strap and a wall socket plug. The red color creates quite a contrast against green boards, but I was able to get to work yesterday instead of waiting for an order.
model # 276-2370
catalog # 276-2370

Posted:
Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 pm
by fifteenrabbits
Yeah, they didn't carry them at any of my local radioshack stores. :/
I built my preamps and they work just as they should, but I'm going to get a mat for the next builds.