Page 1 of 1

Neve/API Compressor kits...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:38 pm
by frais_cafe
Hi. I realize that you're extremely busy with the new pre that you're cooking up. I've been looking at the A12/N72 pre's and will be ordering some soon.

What I was wondering is whether you have any plans (even if it's not in the near future) to release Compressor kits. If you buy an old Neve comp card to rack, you're looking at close to $2G's. I'm thinking it can't be that difficult to make, considering that people make 1176's by hand. Kits just save stupid people like me from PCB etching and the like.

Just thought I'd throw it out. If nothing comes of this, it's all good. I'll just have to figure it out myself when the time comes. ;) Thanks anyways for such a great idea with the pre kits that you do have. :)

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

P.s. You don't know of anyone making these kits, by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:58 pm
by Bastiaan
I know a site with some more schematics and pcb's and stuff you might be interested in.


http://www.gyraf.dk/index.html

It all looks very nice, but i have no idea how hard it is to make them, nor do i know the quality...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:00 am
by frais_cafe
Bastiaan,

Thanks for the reply. I've checked out that site. There're a lot of guys on www.groupdiy.com that make his stuff from the projects he's got on there. Seem like really good stuff. There just aren't any Neve/API comps on that site.

Right now, as I'm pretty new to this, building from a schematic makes me jittery, which is why I figured I'd at least propose the idea here.

Anyway, thanks again for the link. I'm pretty sure I'll look more into the comps on that site. For now, some SCA kits will keep me busy when I get the cash for them. :)

Looking at GroupDIY's site, it seems like I jumped the gun on the Neve stuff, though. Apparently it's really complicated. That leaves API I guess...I just find it silly to pay close to $800 for a module, and still need to buy the rack chassis and THEN buy the PSU separately.

Jean-Pierre