Page 1 of 1

Rack Mounting Spacing Question

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:04 am
by tazman
I am in the process of re-rack mounting all my equipment in the studio. I was wondering if I should leave a rack space open above or below my SCA pres (cooling) or is it necessary? The rack will have the 2 MOTU converters, my ART Dual MP tube pre (great DI for bass) and mu Furman power distribution.

Any thoughts?

Roberto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:30 am
by niccolo
I think the SCA rack in itself will not heat up enough to require ventilation, you might want to check the power conditioner and the tube pre to see if they pose a heat problem to any of your equipment.
I read on John Wilkinson's "Art of digital audio" book that clock stability in ADC/DAC is influenced by temperature drifts, you might want to leave some room around your converters.. maybe

my train-squashed 0,00001 cent

nicco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 pm
by tpryan
I was wondering if I should leave a rack space open above or below my SCA pres (cooling) or is it necessary?


It depends on how many of which modules are installed. Fully loaded with C84s will absolutely require good air flow. A pair of A12s will probably be happy in a closed road case.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:49 am
by niccolo
:oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:45 am
by tazman
How about 2 N72's, 4 A12's and 2 J99's?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:06 am
by tpryan
Leave a space above the chassis. If you want the rack to look nice, use a vented 1U blank.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:58 pm
by tazman
Thanks