How's this for flux remover???

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

How's this for flux remover???

Postby Category 5 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:00 pm

https://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=1435.pdf

I ordered the 4oz. Eco Line Flux Remover

number 1621-45


It says it is for most fluxes, including no-clean, and safe on plastics.

Do I just put it on the board and let it evaporate or do I need to wipe with a sponge? Is it dangerous to breathe? Do I need to do it outside or is it fine to use in the house?

thanks!
Shane
Category 5
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Postby tpryan » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:51 am

Looks good, and the brush attachment will make life better. You can check the manufacturer's web site for details, but I'd bet it's mostly alcohol and not unduly hazardous, though surely flammable.

Just FYI, I was just discussing defluxing with Tim Farrant of Buzz Audio at the AES show yesterday. They don't bother.
tpryan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm

Postby tele_player » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:06 am

Does Buzz Audio hand solder, or wave solder?
tele_player
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:09 pm

Postby tele_player » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:07 am

I was at AES Friday and Saturday, would have liked to meet you, Tim.

I won a pair of ADAM ANF10 monitors... pretty cool, eh? I can't wait till they arrive!
tele_player
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:09 pm

Postby Category 5 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:53 am

I did my first defluxing today on my latest A12 (which sounds beautiful btw. I am running now 2 channels with SC25 and one with the 2520)

You definitely have to finish this task once you start. I drenched the board in flux remover several times while brushing away with the included brush tip. After about 10 minutes all I had was a very cloudy looking, very sticky circuit board...every square inch.

I ended up having to go inside and rub the board with isopropyl on a sponge, and then do some light rubbing with an alcohol dipped paper towel.

It took at least an hour, but the end result is a perfectly clean and shiny circuit board that is truly a gem to both see and hear.

So what's with that flux remover? I don't think it did much at all! Maybe it's the "no clean" flux's fault.


AND TIM - I was pretty careful, but should I worry about any flux remover getting on the output transformer? I used the same profile that you include in your kit (had to order the minimum 5 pcs) and when I opened the box I was about knocked dizzy by the smell of enamel. Do you think the flux remover can have an effect on the enamel coating? ...especially since the coat on my transformers is fresh.

Shane

P.S. For some reason it looks like there is an extra lam or two on my Profile trannys (they look fatter than the two I got from Tim)...maybe it's my mind playing tricks, and maybe it's just thicker enamel. Anybody know anything about this though?
Category 5
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Postby tpryan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:39 am

The "real" way to deflux is with a big parts washer that uses lots of solvent. Doing it by hand is a big pain, as you discovered. Alcohol based flux removers won't harm the transformer. You can count the lams to see if they're the same, I'd be very surprised if they weren't.
tpryan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests