"Extra" parts...

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

"Extra" parts...

Postby Karl » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:01 am

I have one extra blue ceramic capacitor (#104) in each of my A12 kits. Is this right, or should I have installed it somewhere? I followed the instructions and only saw 5 in the pictures... Is this just an extra one in case we screw up?

Also what are these for, exactly? ...pictured in
http://www.chowhouse.com/~james/sca/day1.html
fifth pic down?
I never heard an answer to that question... I'd like to put them in before I solder all the wires. I'm thinking it's for the power harness before the 1st module's molex connector, but I want to hear it from an authority before I put them in there... Please advise the best location and way to install these things.

thanx in advance!
Karl
Karl
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN

Re: "Extra" parts...

Postby dkatz42 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:21 pm

Karl \$m[1]:I have one extra blue ceramic capacitor (#104) in each of my A12 kits. Is this right, or should I have installed it somewhere? I followed the instructions and only saw 5 in the pictures... Is this just an extra one in case we screw up?

It's probably DigiKey screwing up. I had three extra caps in each of one of the preamp kits I bought the last time.

If you've filled in all of the spots on the board and checked off all of the components on the BOM, don't sweat it.
dkatz42
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:11 pm

Postby Reggie » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:22 pm

I had an extra one of those too. I don't think I missed anything.
Reggie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Missouri

Postby Karl » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:30 am

Okay, thanx, but what about the other things?? Looks like a ....what do you call it... Ferroit coil or whatever???

...pictured in
http://www.chowhouse.com/~james/sca/day1.html
fifth pic down?
I never heard an answer to that question... I'd like to put them in before I solder all the wires. I'm thinking it's for the power harness before the 1st module's molex connector, but I want to hear it from an authority before I put them in there... Please advise the best location and way to install these things.
Karl
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN

Postby Karl » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:21 pm

I assume the lock washers for the gaim and trim pots are not used in these kits. I tried to put them on, but couldn't thread the nuts, there wasn't enough clearance. They assembled just fine and I don't think I missed anything... I ended up with two extra chassis screws, (2) molex connectors, (2) heatsinks, and the items mentioned above. They all sound and work fine.

Tim told me the ferrite coils are for the power cable itself and the internal power harness for the actual pres.
Karl
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests