by tele_player » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:17 am
I don't see the problem - 7th Circle offers all the preamps completely assembled. It costs about $175 per channel plus $200 for the chassis/power supply assembly, on top of the kit prices (last time I checked).
So, I just totalled up what you'd need on the 7th Circle order page and it comes to $3946 (plus shipping and tax, if applicable). This would include everything except op amps for the J99 modules. I'd use Hardy 990c modules, which are $50 each direct from Hardy. Two per J99, so that's $200. Grand total: about $4146. The op amps for the A12's are included in this price, and no op amps are used on the N72's.
Of that total, $1600 is assembly.
What is an op amp? Well, the term refers to an 'operational amplifier', which means the transistors, resistors and capacitors required to produce a working gain stage, requiring only input, output and power hookups. (This is a slightly simplified explanation, but close enough)
Solid state op amps can be divided into two basic categories: discrete, where the module is made up of individual components, usually assembled in a small package (about 1.5" square), or monolithic IC, where all the parts are done in silicon (or something similar), assembled in a much smaller package that looks like a computer chip.
The A12 and J99 use discrete op amps. Seventh Circle sells one that's appropriate for the A12; Hardy sells the 990c which is appropriate for the J99.