Cold Heat? Is it true?

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

Cold Heat? Is it true?

Postby Nerdyrocker » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:10 am

Is anybody using this iron? Is it OK to use on small boards like these pres? Any experience, tips, thoughts, or opinions?
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."
Nerdyrocker
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Category 5 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:40 pm

I got one at Costco for $15. Yes it is real, and it works a charm if you're in a bind.

I wouldn't even think about using this for assembly or circuit board work. get a real iron with a fine tip for that. This thing is for keeping in the truck and making emergency cable repairs, etc. when there is no time or equipment for the real stuff.

Mine has saved me a couple times on gigs. Once to fix a broken guitar jack, and the other time to fix a bad speaker cable. Those are the only times I have used it.

If you need something for those occasions get one. Don't try to prove me wrong by building an SCA kit with one though. I'm not saying it can't be done...but you'll probably lose some hair trying.

Shane
Category 5
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Postby Nerdyrocker » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:41 am

Just thought I would check. I have always used a regular iron and I was questioning the Cold Heat's ability. I saw it on TV, I figured it was too good to be true.
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."
Nerdyrocker
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Richmond, VA


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Josephincef and 4 guests