Getting started

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

Getting started

Postby ryanformato » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:51 am

Hi, I am very new to this whole new approach to getting top quality mic preamps. My friend is a genius at this stuff and he said he could build these things with no problem for me. I am not quite sure which would be the best way to go and what exactly to buy.

Can you please list what i would need to get a single channel preamp would the capabilty to add many more once some more money comes my way. I don't really understand the difference between a "full" chassis and an "assembled" chassis. Since I have a guy doing this for me, I would want all the parts and everything like that, but nothing put together. OR if I was to get parts, how much money would I actually be saving? (I really don't feel like going through all the trouble of getting these parts just to save like $50) I appreciate the help.

From what I read, I would probably get something like:

a J99 (or any pre for that matter, I will eventually want to mix and match) kit Full ($299)

PS02 Power supply (because I want to mix and match I think this is the right one to get) ($169 assembled) Why is there not a "full one" There is just assembled and minimal.

And a 2RU chassis, Full $299

Is this right? From what I see, this can eventually give me 6 preamps so next time I would buy, I would only have to buy the preamp because I would already have a power supply and the rack unit. Thank you for your help.

-Ryan
ryanformato
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:21 am

Postby tpryan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:53 am

You've got the idea. To start with a single channel A12 you'd order:

1x A12KF
1x SC25KA
1x PS02KA
1x CH01KF

With the complete kit discount, the total before shipping is $625.
tpryan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Josephincef and 4 guests