just ordered j99 kit (few questions)

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

just ordered j99 kit (few questions)

Postby deadboy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:27 am

First off I want to thank SCA for an incredible service they provide to poor musicians like myself.

I just ordered my kit and it said the lead time is 4 weeks. Does this mean it can be "up to 4 weeks" or does this mean it will definatly be 4 weeks before the order is sent?

I also notice that the schematic and the full kit use a lundahl input tranny. Is there any way you can use the jensen jt16b like in the john hardy m1's. I tried to see for myself but the jensen is a 1:2 and the leads just dont match up to the points on the board. would it even be worth it , I know lundahl has a great reputation, I was just wondering what differance in the sound would it make?

one last question if I may : does the minimal kit come with any typed instructions or layout diagram? I feel quite comfortable about putting it together , I used to build tube guitar amps for mojotone music suppy and it was all point to point wiring. I can follow a schematic , I was just wondering if instructions came with it, it might save a few hours.

thanks guys
deadboy
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:07 am
Location: san francisco bay area

Postby deadboy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:18 am

WOW !!! never mind that question about the lead time..... Tim just emailed me with the ups tracking number!! the kit has already shipped ,, its in sunnyvale right now. sorry to act like a gitty little school girl but I did not expect that

Im still curious about the other two questions though.
deadboy
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:07 am
Location: san francisco bay area

Postby tele_player » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:10 am

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA ... sembly.htm

I have two J99 - they are great preamps. You mention the John Hardy M1; that's very different. The J99 is much closer to the Hardy 'Jensen Twin Servo', both being implementations of the same Jensen design.

Just stick with whatever transformers Tim provides in the kit - you won't be disappointed.
tele_player
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:09 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests