Recommended Oscilloscopes and signal generators

Post general questions or comments about electronics and kit building here. Save specific questions for the forums below.

Recommended Oscilloscopes and signal generators

Postby ohoen » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:31 pm

I'm starting assembly on my A12 tonight and, while I have all the basic tools required I do not have access to a scope or signal generator. I know I don't need either for this kit but I'd like to have these tools at my disposal anyway. I know next to nothing about how they work, though, and what I should be looking for. Can anyone make some recommendations and maybe give me a quick primer on the operation/uses of these tools?
Thanks,
Oliver
ohoen
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:21 pm

Postby tpryan » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:49 am

I'd look for a dual trace scope with a bandwidth of 20MHz to 50MHz. Higher bandwidth can be useful for some audio R&D and is necessary for RF and digital work, but isn't necessary for audio troubleshooting. Something like a Tektronix 465B can be had for less than $250 on ebay.

A function generator doesn't have to be anything fancy unless you're calibrating levels or measuring very low distortion. Look for something that can generate fundamentals of at least 1MHz, since you can learn a lot by looking at what your circuits do beyond the audible band. A square wave output is also very handy and can tell you a lot about bandwidth and stability. You should be able to find a suitable box on ebay for less than $50.

As for learning to use them, try Google. Also, Audio Precision sells a nice little book about making precise and accurate audio measurements that you may want to get.
tpryan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm

Postby ohoen » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:42 pm

Great, thanks a lot!
ohoen
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:21 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests