Percieved sonic differences transformer vs no transformer

Post questions or comments about the D11 here.

Percieved sonic differences transformer vs no transformer

Postby PJD3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Hello, I'd be really interested to hear your comments on this.
I got the D11 (and the B16) kits for Christmas (love ya Santa) and already have built and use 2 C84's and an N72. Love these pre's. I did not as of yet get any of the optional transformers for these kits. I'm very curious if any of you has had the opportunity to actually AB the D11 with and without the transformers. I'm curious to know if you percieved any sonic differences. Although in general I have experienced what the effect of transformers in the path do bring, I'm specifically curious to the difference one may hear in the D11 (i'll ask this question in the B16 forum, too). Over the years its been heard and understood that capacitors can have a detrimental effect on a signal, perhaps smear the signal or rob it of some detail or clarity, depending. Tim, I'd really like to hear a comment from you if you have a chance, I'm assuming you've given yourself a great opportunity to hear this time after time again. I see that in putting the transformers in, capacitor need to come out. So, my concern is, will the transformers change the sonic quality in a way that many may percive as an "improvement? or, could the difference be so slight, that I wouldn't hear a difference. My D11 will for the most part be working within the same rack with short little cables and on the same AC line. Thank you for your time and look forward to your comments!

Thank you,
Phil
First things first.
PJD3

D11 transformer/no transformer

Postby PJD3 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Ya know what. My ears have been exposed to big guitar amps for so long, I probably wouoldn't hear the difference anyways. I'm sure it's going to be great no matter what. Time to relax and enjoy the build, then the performance!

PHil
First things first.
PJD3

Postby Phrazemaster » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Just my thoughts, but if you're going to run the D11 through another SCA preamp like the J99 or N72 - you'll get the transformer color there!

My understanding is the real value of putting the transformer in the D11 is to potentially reduce hum and provide an isolated balanced output - according to Tim's sticky.

I looked on the Jensen website; the xformer in question is $70.00 each; this would add $140+ to the D11. Yikes!

I'm going to stick with the caps in place of the xformers and use the preamps to add the color I want.

Just my .02
Phrazemaster

Postby PJD3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:15 am

Hi Phrazemaster. Yes, what you said is finally what I have determined. I bet the transformer colour from the D11 would be masked by the N72 transformers anyways. after all, thats one of the reasons why many of us get the N72. And then the option for a transparent sound is still there also. I think there are much better ways of spending $150.00!! Like getting started on that Fender Blackface Deluxe build. Hell, the transformers alone for that will exceed 150 bucks! So, caps it is. And that will be more than fine!

Thanks Phrazmaster.

Phil
First things first.
PJD3

Postby Phrazemaster » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:34 am

Of course buddy!

I just stuffed all the resistors into my D11 - what a revelation a little resistor lead bender is! Up till now I've been using pliers and meticulously matching each resistor piece by piece into the holes...

This way is a "hole" lot faster! (pun intended!). Plus, the finished bends are *perfect* and even with each other.

A good weekend to ye.

Mike
Phrazemaster

resistor leads

Postby PJD3 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Well, I've got pretty good at making the bends to fit those damn holes. Yeah, I do miss the mark here and there and have to go back and "rebend". Maybe some day I'll smarten up and get a bender. I will not accept any stress on any of the components though. That would keep me up at night like a stomach infection. I'm about half way through with the D11, just got too exited about the B16 and started u on that. Got to have both though. I bet my bass will sound great into the D11--N72--B16--converter, etc...]
So, thanks for being a good influence on me to get back and finish the D11 build. Let us know how it all goes for ya.

PHil
First things first.
PJD3

Postby Phrazemaster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Get yourself a lead bender. It will be a revelation! Cuts out SO much time, plus all the resistors LINE UP!

Done with my D11; it tests fine and will see some light use in my studio. About 1/3 through my B16 pair build.

I'm redoing the front panel of the chasis for the D1 and the Compressors because the controls don't match at all. So far I've found pretty much an exact paint match, and I'm deciding how I want to do the lettering/graphics. I'm thinking just some transparent laser mailing labels, or using my Brother P-Touch labeller.

So, get on with it Phil! ;)
Phrazemaster

Return to D11