Input and impedance switching

Post questions or comments about the D11 here.

Input and impedance switching

Postby reypina » Fri May 02, 2008 9:11 am

Couple of inquiries. As I understand from what has been said so far, the D11 will accept both balanced and unbalanced, line or instrument level signals. Is this correct? And so the output can be fed to a mic preamp, or sent to an amp for re-amping (via a XLR to 1/4" TS, with pin 1 and 3 to sleeve and pin 2 <hot> to tip, preferably with the recommended added resistors to mimic the impedance of an instrument pickup). Is this the case?

Another thing that is not completely clear to me is the switches for the input impedance. I'm assuming, the top switch is for CONN1 and the bottom for CONN2. Are the switches completely independent of each other? How does their operation differ when the module is set up to use one of the 1/4" ins as a "direct thru to amp" output?

Thanks Tim, can't wait for the D11's to arrive... and the N72s, and the C84's. Finally, my A12's will have company and my chassis will be filled (2 of each), which brings me to a last question: in what order should I place the modules in the chassis?

Best,

Rey
reypina

Postby reypina » Fri May 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Tim. pleaaase respond this post!!
reypina

Postby tpryan » Wed May 14, 2008 8:45 am

As I understand from what has been said so far, the D11 will accept both balanced and unbalanced, line or instrument level signals. Is this correct?

The D11's inputs are unbalanced and high impedance. Generally speaking, you can connect low impedance outputs to high impedance inputs with no issues. Whether or not you can connect a particular balanced output to an unbalanced input depends on the balanced output circuit. If it's happy to have one side grounded then you're OK. If not, you'll have to rewire some cables.

And so the output can be fed to a mic preamp, or sent to an amp for re-amping (via a XLR to 1/4" TS, with pin 1 and 3 to sleeve and pin 2 <hot> to tip, preferably with the recommended added resistors to mimic the impedance of an instrument pickup). Is this the case?

No need to connect pin 1 to the sleeve, especially if you fit an output transformer.

Another thing that is not completely clear to me is the switches for the input impedance. I'm assuming, the top switch is for CONN1 and the bottom for CONN2.

Right.

Are the switches completely independent of each other?

The switches are independent unless the input jacks are jumpered together in some fashion. Whenever one input can drive both outputs, it sees the parallel input impedance of both channels. The maximum input impedance drops to about 500K and the minimum input impedance drops to 5K.

How does their operation differ when the module is set up to use one of the 1/4" ins as a "direct thru to amp" output?

Both switches will affect the input impedance.

which brings me to a last question: in what order should I place the modules in the chassis?

You should be able to arrange the modules in any order you like.
tpryan
Site Admin

Return to D11