Finished First Preamp

Post questions or comments about the T15 here.

Finished First Preamp

Postby samgreene » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Finished the first preamp. Got two T15s to see how everything goes. I got a pair of Cascade Fathead 2 ribbon mics which my presonus preamps just couldn't handle with their 55db of gain. Drums were fine, but recording anything quieter was way too noisy. The T15 rocks the Fatheads.

I just started with electronics, so I've been buying all the supplies and reading up a bit. I put together a b.y.o.c octave fuzz the night before which helped out quite a bit. One tip - when the instructions suggest you do something, do it. I had a bad time with the gain knob because I didn't use glue to hold it on - didn't get it flat, couldn't get it off, got it back on, knob was crooked, got it straight by bridging 3 contacts with the iron. I fortunately had some solder wick and a little bulb to suck solder up.

Everything went off without a hitch during testing. Noticed I had the jumpers on wrong during the final check.

The SCA instructions make the b.y.o.c instructions look amateur. I just bought my first DMM and managed just fine.

I'm hoping to try out a few other modules and see what I've been missing.
samgreene

Postby tpryan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Well done. Everyone makes mistakes, but the more experience you get the easier they are to fix.
tpryan
Site Admin

Return to T15