Just finished two T15 modules. Seem to work fine.

Post questions or comments about the T15 here.

Just finished two T15 modules. Seem to work fine.

Postby samth3mancgp » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:33 pm

I just finished putting together two T15 modules to start off my SCA rack. both of them fired up the first time. I read a really high resistance in the 1000s (I think?) at the J3 before powering it up (which is what I wanted right? over 100ohms?). I also read a voltage at the +/- 18V point on the board that I think was also right Just above the 15V mark on the meter? (likely 18V?) And lastly I got a reading just below the 50V point on my meter at pin 2 of the XLR. (likely 48 V?)

I don't really understand what the ranges on the meter are either so maybe all of those readings are wrong.. it was set to 250? The thing was $9 at wal-mart, pretty crappy and cheap. I have a nice DMM at home but that's far away. How do I read this thing? I just want to be sure that I'm using these to their full potential. In any case...

I just plugged it in, powered it up and it sounded good. I don't have any of the problems that other people are talking about having on these threads, just good sound.

I did a quick A/B between the T15 and my Project Mix I/O pres with my roomate singing a bit into an MXL 990 (The only mic I felt comfortable having at college with me :( ).

There is definitely something good going on in the T15s that are not present in the Project mix pres. I can describe the T15s as Clear and crisp, but not overly so. The high end is controlled and smooth. The P/Mix pres were much more "hazy" and almost "muffled" in sound compared to the T15. The high end seemed inaccurate, it sounded harsh at times.

The descriptions make it seem like the difference is like night and day, but it was a subtle difference, but it is noticeable. My girlfriend and roommate (neither of which listen to sound as critically as I do) were able to hear a difference and picked the T15 over the Projectmix pres. I also like that as I push the gain and cut the trim on the T15 I can get varying amounts of distortion. Pushing the gain up to 12 gives an "effect-like" distortion, that is much more thick and noticeable, but between gain stages 8-10 there is a subtle touch of analog distortion that might be useful for rock/scream vocals! :wink:
samth3mancgp

Return to T15