T15 First-Hand Experience?

Post questions or comments about the T15 here.

T15 First-Hand Experience?

Postby ghetto3jon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:07 am

it's been nearly two months since the introduction of the T15, just wondering if there are anymore first-hand reviews out there. it's tough to hear from people who have actually used it...there are a lot of assumptions about it out there based on its construction (which are still helpful, don't get me wrong), but how about its actual performance? i'm thinking of jumping into the SCA thing with a pair of T15s because they are the most affordable and easiest to build...but only if they are in the "same league" as the more expensive modules. i've read a million rave reviews about the N72 and A12, but almost nothing about the T15. (i'd love to hear from T15 users who also have A12s or C84s or N72s).
ghetto3jon

Postby ghetto3jon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:07 pm

well, i just placed an order...so i guess i'll find out for myself!
ghetto3jon

Postby lkraven » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:45 pm

Well, for those who might come after you, your impressions will be useful.

It's kind of hard to describe a "sound" by typing about it.

I have a T15 next to an N72-- the T15 definitely sounds more "neutral". It is quieter and has a lot more gain than the preamps on my MOTU Ultralite, Presonus Firestudio and MBox2.

It is a very clean sound-- hard to describe it any other way. There's not a lot of coloration, it sounds extremely smooth and neutral.

Next to the N72, it is a little bit more clinical. There's a certain liquidity to the way the N72 sounds-- it has a definite (pleasing) character. You don't get any of that with the T15-- it's just clear, clean sound.

You don't get any of that with the preamps mentioned above either. I think the T15 is an excellent preamp, one of the best values in pro audio. I have the T15 when I need a clear and clean sound. The N72 definitely adds something to the sound-- and that character is pleasing to me when recording vocals.

I think that if I used a T15, I would basically just forget that it was in the chain. There's no forgetting that the N72 is in the chain-- there is SOMETHING there, and depending on whether or not it works, I would leave it or take it out.

With the T15, I never get that sense-- if I find something "missing", I go to something with more character. I never feel like the T15 is intruding at all.

Hope that helps.
lkraven

Postby ghetto3jon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:53 am

very helpful, thank you.

(i do plan on getting a N72 after i build the T15 and probably an A12)
ghetto3jon

Postby ghetto3jon » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:21 pm

just finished building my T15. i've had very little experience with building electronics (just a little cable making), and it went smoothly. it took about 10 hours (with the chassis), but it was fun...and very satisfying. the only thing i screwed up was the LED on the front of the chassis, but an email to tim help me sort that out. now everything seems perfect.

it sounds great. more neutral and natural than my VMP-2...and much fuller than the MOTU 828mkII pres.

i'm going to get an A12 now. hopefully i have the same success with that module.
ghetto3jon

Postby tpryan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:58 am

You should have no troubles with an A12 after the T15. There isn't much more to solder, it's just that the transformers and op-amp are much more expensive than the ICs in the T15. Take your time, use a lead bender on the resistors, don't use too much solder, and double-check your work and you'll be fine.
tpryan
Site Admin

Postby leopold » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:36 pm

I already have 4 channels of Syteks, would the T15 sound pretty similar?

Eddie
leopold

Postby shane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:14 pm

leopold \$m[1]:I already have 4 channels of Syteks, would the T15 sound pretty similar?

I'm curious about this as well. The descriptions of the two pres are very similar...pristine, clean, clear, realistic. I plan on keeping my Sytek and filling out my SCA chassis to have 12 channels and wondering if the T15 would be redundant.
shane

Postby jdier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:31 am

Hey, regarding the T15, I am an avid owner and user of FMR RNP's and I would say that the T15 is right there with that unit. The RNP obviously has the insert points, DI and monitoring (which I really like) but in terms of sound it is very much in the same wheel house (which for me, is GREAT, as I need to use them alongside one another.)

If you have not used a RNP/T15 I would describe the sound as very clear and quick. I love it for acoustic guitars, overheads.... Have used them on all kinds of stuff with great success. I would say that I have not found anything that they do not work on to some degree.

I do not imagine I will get rid of any of my RNP's for now, but if/when it comes time to add more channels I think I will lean towards the T15.

Hope this is helpful

that
Last edited by jdier on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdier

Postby shane » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:15 pm

It does help, thanks.
shane

Return to T15