1200 ohms??

Post questions or comments about the A12 here.

Postby Category 5 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:38 am

Thanks tele. That's the reason I love forums like this one.

Your idea for making one out of two jumpers is great! i think I'll try it the next time I get bored enough to pull my rack apart.

...or as soon as I hear more glowing results from other who try it.

Shane
Category 5

Postby Not_So_New » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:23 am

Or make a jumper that has a 600 ohm resistor in it. That would be in series with the 604 on the board, yielding 1200 ohms. I haven't looked at the board lately, but if there's room, this could be easily done using two jumpers.

Okay so you are saying that I could pull the jumper on J5 and then just run the 1200 ohm resister in the cable on the outside then correct?

Also if I wanted to add another 600 ohm resister on the board where would that go?? I am not following what you are saying above (sorry to be thick but I just want to get this right the first time).

Thanks guys.
Not_So_New

Postby tele_player » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:38 am

Yes, remove J5 and put a 1200 ohm resistor across pins 2 and 3 on the cable. This could even be done with a pot (2K linear taper), which would make it easier to experiment.

- or -

create a 600 ohm jumper which would go on J5. If there's room at the J5 position on the board for two jumpers, one hanging off each pin, it will be easy to solder up two jumpers and a resistor to go in this location.

Look at the schematic, understanding this takes no special skill.
tele_player

Postby Category 5 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:06 pm

Glue two jumpers together side by side so that when they fit over the pins on the board one pin is entering each jumper. then glue a 600ohm resistor to the top[ of the two jumpers, and bend the leads under so that they can each be inserted into one of the remaining holes.

Then you will have a 600ohm jumper that will enable a 1200 load on the transformer, without modification to the board.

Great idea tele! I'm going to try this.

Shane
Category 5

Postby Not_So_New » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:15 am

So how about this. If I were to take out the R604 at R22 and add a 1200 ohm resister there that would work as well correct?

Also I ordered some 1200ohm resistors from Digi Key but they only had 5% 1200 not 1%, is that going to make a difference at R22?

Lastly I would like to learn a bit out of this so can someone tell me... I can add a 604 ohm resister at J5 and I would be up to 1208 ohms because the path from J5 through R22 is in series correct? Assuming there was place to add it I could add an extra 600 ohms at any point between ping 2 of J5 and pin 1 of R22 to get 1200 ohms.
Not_So_New

Postby tele_player » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:12 pm

5% is fine. We're already messing, almost arbitrarily, with resistances between 600 ohms and infinity (J5 removed), so a resistor of 1140-1260 (1200 +/- 5%) ohms is perfectly OK.

Yes, resistors in series are simply added.

But, frankly, you should just leave this to people who understand it.
tele_player

Postby Not_So_New » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:17 pm

Look man.... I am not sure how to take you but....

But, frankly, you should just leave this to people who understand it.

What the hell is up with that?? I can't ask questions without you getting on your throne huh? I am not an idiot, I have been as polite as I can be here and I would honestly like to learn a few things, or relearn a few things.

I learned all this stuff years ago in electronics classes and I do remember a few things but that was a decade ago or longer, it is coming back to me slowly but it helps to ask questions. If you are not interested in answering then DON'T bother responding, I am here to learn not to be ridiculed.

Thanks for the 2nd rude response and I will be sure to disregard any post by you in the future.....
Not_So_New

Postby Category 5 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:56 pm

Woah. I don;t think Tele meant anything by that other than to not go experimenting if you're not sure of the outcome since you may cause problems that could be troublesome to fix in the process.

Sometimes posts get read in a tone they weren't typed in. Tele is a pretty helpful guy around here when Tim hasn't got the time, and many of the people owe their problem solutions to his repsonses.

Again, I think you may have just misinterpreted the tone of the message.

We're all anxious to hear some results of the 1200 ohm tranny load, so let us know (maybe even some sound comparisons) once you get it tested!

Thanks!
Shane
Category 5

Postby Not_So_New » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:00 am

Again, I think you may have just misinterpreted the tone of the message.
Quite possible and if that is the case then my apologies but it just does not feel that way.... I could be wrong, I have been wrong about many things before.

:wink:

We're all anxious to hear some results of the 1200 ohm tranny load, so let us know (maybe even some sound comparisons) once you get it tested!

Will do. I ordered some 604 resistors and I am going to try the side by side jumper trick first, see how it goes.

The bad thing is that I don't have anything saved that I recorded with the A12's without the 1200 ohm resistors so I have nothing to compare them to. I have been a recording cat for long enough to know when I like the sound of something. I liked the A12's allot before and I will know pretty quickly if I like the 1200 ohm mod with my own ears and voice (sorry that sucks for the community). If I think it will be helpful I will post some clips but I don't have any before and after stuff so it might not mean anything.

Thanks again man.
Not_So_New

Postby ERIKSMUSICPRODUCTION » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:04 pm

Hi there, got alittle late to this topic.

I am considering making a connector to plug into the j5 jumper with either a choice of several diff. resistor loads and a switch or just a potentimeter.

Is there any reason why a potentimeter would be worse than resistors? and would the quality of the unit affect the performance at all?

Anybody tried the 1200 yet?
ERIKSMUSICPRODUCTION

Postby Nerdyrocker » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Sorry, Im late coming into this as well.

Could you not just replace the 604 ohm resistor on the board with a 1200 ohm resistor? That seems to be the same to me.
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."
Nerdyrocker

Postby bluesman714 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:25 am

So........what ever became of this experiment??????
Black Cat Records
bluesman714

Postby matthemeon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:41 am

I haven't tried this yet but am very interested as well, has anyone compared 600 to 1200 yet?
matthemeon

Previous

Return to A12