Paper Insulator

Post questions or comments about the A12 here.

Paper Insulator

Postby jwryan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 am

Well I did it. I forgot to install the paper insulator under the input transformer. I have tried desoldering to pull out the transformer and then insert the paper, but I'm doing more damage than good. One of the sockets is very close to coming off and being unusable.

I've read some of the other threads regarding this. I understand that "the paper insulator prevents the transformer case from shorting exposed pads on the PC board." My question is... is it worth trying the initial power up and testing to see if there aren't any shorts? And if there aren't any shorts, would it be ok to use the A12 without the paper? Or am I going to do more damage to other components and cause a bigger headache for myself by even doing the initial power up?

If the answer to the last question is yes, than what is the best way to get the transformer out without doing any more damage? I may have already damaged some of the sockets too much. So I'm concerned that even pulling out the transformer will cause some serious issues. I'm actually fairly experienced with soldering and desoldering, but to get all of these pins free without doing damage seems very difficult. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
jwryan

Return to A12