Question about this module's build

Post questions or comments about the A12 here.

Question about this module's build

Postby greg_i » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Tim and SCA friends,

I have an SCA rack with N72s that I've been using for a couple of years. I had Codeman015 make it up for me and it's been rock solid.

I need more modules for a project but the money's tight, so I bought a second hand A12 from a guy in San Fran via eBay recently. The module arrived yesterday - just wondering if anyone with experience wouldn't mind having a look at some pics and letting me know their opinion:

One thing that looks odd to me is that the XLR connectors are at an angle. I tried to get an image but it's a little blurry. Is it right that the connectors are angled up?

Thanks in advance everyone.
greg_i

Postby tpryan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 am

Looks fair to poor, but the most important thing is what the bottom looks like. You'll have to post better photos. But just because it's sloppy doesn't mean it won't work fine.
tpryan
Site Admin

Postby greg_i » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback Tim.. I've taken some pics of the bottom of the module. My camera doesn't appear to handle close-ups all that well.

In this first shot, the sun is casting shadows I'm afraid:

Image[/img]

Some others:

Any feedback will be much appreciated. Cheers.[/img]
greg_i

Postby tpryan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 am

If you want to see what a properly assembled board should look like, remove the PS03 from the chassis and examine the soldering and lead prep and trimming. The A12 in your photos falls pretty far from the mark. But as I mentioned above, that's doesn't mean it won't work fine.
tpryan
Site Admin

Ever Heard of Flux Remover?

Postby Phrazemaster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm sure your build is complete at this point, but looking at the photos I'd have to say, use some flux remover for sure. And you might remove some of the excess solder on many of the joints.

I found that even with a well-soldered board, if I have flux still on the board it can cause weird problems.

Just my 2c
Phrazemaster

Return to A12