New transformer options for the A12??

Post questions or comments about the A12 here.

New transformer options for the A12??

Postby crtstudios » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 pm

I just ordered my first A12 yesterday, and today I see that there are now transformer option for the A12. I'm curious what transformer I'll be receiving, and how much difference the different transformers will make in future A12's I buy. I am planning on buying 3 more in the near future..
crtstudios

Postby tpryan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:41 pm

We've been offering transformer upgrades for months, they were just a separate line item on the order page until today. The standard A12 transformer is the CMOQ-2S. Unless you order an upgrade, that's what we'll ship.
tpryan
Site Admin

Postby unchartedthickets » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:43 pm

hey,

i'm not exactly electrically inclined but maybe you're confusing op amp
with transformer. they're not the same but can act similarly in terms of changing current strength across a circuit. if i'm wrong, please chime in.
i hope discussion happens regardless.

the A12 has three op amp choices just like the N72 and J99. the op amps are
named: SC10, SC25, SC99. for the compressor we have transformers that are named: 2S, 2L, 2H.

if someone with good electrical knowhow coupled with clear and simple english skills has more ideas about the difference, i'd love to read the following breakdown. wikipedia is killing me.
unchartedthickets

Postby unchartedthickets » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:44 pm

ok, ooops. never you mind.
unchartedthickets

Postby crtstudios » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Can you give me some idea of what the new transformer options will sound like compared to the regular one? I intend on getting a fewA12's, and might do well getting different transformers in each...
crtstudios

Postby jmettam » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:26 pm

crtstudios \$m[1]:Can you give me some idea of what the new transformer options will sound like compared to the regular one? I intend on getting a fewA12's, and might do well getting different transformers in each...

There was a small thread about this here:

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA ... php?t=1787

And from Tim:

tpryan \$m[1]:We're now stocking CMOQ-2L low-nickel and CMOQ-2H high-nickel output transformers for the A12. These parts give lower distortion and less "color" than the standard steel transformers for more variations in tone.

I would also love for someone to attempt to describe the difference in sound. Hopefully using a well known pre as a point of reference. Anyone?

Thanks!

- John
jmettam

Return to A12