J99 and phantom power

Post questions or comments about the J99 here.

J99 and phantom power

Postby Mylithra » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Im having a problem with both of my J99s and phantom power. When I use a condenser mic powered by the preamp, Im getting a fuzzy noise:
http://goose-tracks.com/thegeekgoose/clips/test.mp3

Its not very audible but it is there. None of my dynamic mics nor my self powered tube Condensers do this when put through this preamp, but every condenser the preamp powers has these artifacts in it. Some worse than others. I measured 46v at the mic cable when the phantom is turned on. None of the other modules in the rack have this problem.. just the J99s. Ive not unracked them yet to have a look but any suggestions would be helpful as Im not even certain where to start looking.
Thanks
Jeff
Mylithra

Postby tpryan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Make sure the jumpers look like the photo at step 22.

Try soldering a short jumper between pins 2, 4, and 6 of power header J8. That connects AGND, PGND, and CGND together right at the module. Any difference?
tpryan
Site Admin

Postby Mylithra » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 pm

I havent had the time to un-rack my unit and check into these until tonight. I did pull them out of the chassis and have a look at the jumpers and all matched the build doc. I went through and checked all the voltages and bias calibrations again and got them set within .1 mv (one was way out of bias). I did some initial testing with a condenser mic and I no longer heard any of the noise I was hearing before in a quick test. I will work with them a little more this weekend and see if its truly gone.
Mylithra

Return to J99