j99 U1/U2 voltages off

Post questions or comments about the J99 here.

j99 U1/U2 voltages off

Postby jpsthecelt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Well, though I'm very experienced at board construction, and the kit went together easily, I get really wacky voltages from U1/U2 mill-max pins. I've checked & rechecked diodes and Tantalum caps, but U1 & U2 V+ is ~30v, and V- is 0. Only thing I've noticed is that C5 reads much lower on my multimeter than the others (3 vs 10).

At this point, I've checked to make sure that U4 & U5 are not swapped, that R33, 37, 43, & 47 are all completely CCW, and all jumpers are appropriately set (J1-2 short, J5 installed, J3,J4 2 & 3 jumpered, but neither J6 or J7 are jumpered to adjust (or at all, actually). I guess this means that the servos are engaged? Do I have to have jumpers on these in order to test voltages? (I am missing this page of the schematics), so I can't tell.

Thanks,
All best,
jps
jpsthecelt

MultiMeter Stupidity...

Postby jpsthecelt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Well, at least part of the V+/V- is my stupidity. My Fluke broke and I ended up using a $5.00 CenTech meter, which doesn't automatically switch. I happened to move the Red lead to PGND and the black to V- and it read 30.2v (of course). At least THAT mystery is solved.

I tried adding J6 & J7 in ADJ position, but saw no voltage change. Also, thinking that maybe the pots were somehow backwards, I tried moving the V adjust from full CCW, and the voltages didn't get any lower. Is there a step-down resistor somewhere that might be blown?

Thanks, jps
jpsthecelt

Return to J99